Need help with power for SSDs in SuperMicro server build. (SOLVED)

I purchased a SuperMicro 4U server off of Ebay back in September for use as my first Unraid server. I've been very happy with it and everything is pretty much running great. I absolutely LOVE Unraid. So much so I have 3 separate Unraid servers now running. The primary specs are

SuperMicro 4U CSE-846 - SuperChassis 846E1-R900B
System Board:    X9DRi-F
Processors: DUAL INTEL XEON E5-2620 2.0GHz
System Memory:    60GB DDR-3 ECC REG
Backplane:    BPN-SAS2-846EL1
Power Supply:   2x 1200W PWS-1K21P-1R (PDB-PT846-8824)

When I first got it, I was in a hurry to replace my existing server with it. I purchased 2 x 1TB Samsung 860 Evo SSDs to use for the cache drives. When I got ready to install them, I realized that despite having 4 Sata ports on the motherboard, I couldn't find any extra SATA power to use with them, so I gave up and used up 2 spots in my backplane. It's been working OK except I can't trim the SSDs, which I think is now giving me issues. Occasionally I'll Google around for a solution, but end up getting pulled away on other things.

As far as I can see, all my power for drives runs through the backplane. Where do I get power so I can use the on board SATA ports for my cache drives?

My fall back solution is to purchase 2 NVMe drives and some PCI cards, but I'd like to not have to spend money on more drives right now if I can avoid it.

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0746.jpg

Posting an update. I found my answer on the ixSystems forum (because I apparently just didn't Google well enough) so wanted to post it here in case another rack server noob like me has the same question.

Under the gray plastic piece at the top of my last 2 pictures, there should be a molex cable rated for 4 SATA drives hidden in it. I looked under that trying to find power when I first got the server but didn't really look. I can't verify until Monday, but I'm very hopeful because it's the same server build as mine.

Link to the post with the solution. If you look at the first picture in the last reply, you can barely see the molex cable peeking out.

https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/noob-power-for-motherboard-sata-drive-supermicro-4u-cse-846-24-bay-sas2-bp-x9dri-f.81362/

• Like 1
  • badplanetkevin changed the title to Need help with power for SSDs in SuperMicro server build. (SOLVED)