Cable Cutting with UnRaid

Morpheus

I am looking to get rid of Dish Network and want to watch and record OTA programming. I would like to use my UnRaid server as the storage device for recorded TV. I've been reading, and I am thinking that I will use a HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO as a tuner, and EMBY as my media player. I have 3 tv's to connect; 1 - Samsung Smart TV, and 2 - "dumb" TV's. I have Roku Express devices connected to both of my "dumb" tv's. I believe that I will be able to install a Emby channel on my roku's, and I have already installed Emby on my Samsung TV. 

Having said all that, I'm not sure how it all fits together. Do I install one of the EMBY dockers, and then configure it to use the HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO and my server as the storage device? 

I chose EMBY over Plex because I read that EMBY is easier to set up. I can use Plex if that is the way to go.

Do I have all of the pieces of the puzzle to make this work, or am I missing something?

I seem to struggle with most everything that I try to do with my server, I'm going to need all of the help I can get to make this work.

Thanks,

Matt

3 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Do I have all of the pieces of the puzzle to make this work, or am I missing something?

I cannot comment specifically on Emby as I use my two HDHomerun Connect tuners with Plex.  But, yes, you have the general idea and all the pieces.

The Live TV and DVR function in Plex require a Plex Pass.  I assume you must have Emby Premiere for the equivalent functionality.

Plex sees my two dual tuner HDHR devices.  

image.thumb.png.6700a24e2de1d6e2f7b9fcc2366d8847.png

When you select a show to record, through the Plex app/HDHR program Guide,  it asks to which Plex Library to record the show.  Plex defaults to my TV Shows library for TV shows and Movies library for Movies.  These are shares I have setup on the unRAID server and linked to the Libraries in Plex.

image.thumb.png.6e497f8a253d69e1fc68619417758a82.png

image.png.d80688625ad77c15fa41cef1801f34f3.png

For watching live OTA TV, I can do it through Plex, but I find it more convenient to do it through the HDHR apps, on my FireTV (cube and stick), Windows 10 or iOS apps on phones or tablets.

I assume the Emby setup is similar to the above.

Edited by Hoopster