Unraid and server noobie here

hahler2

Hey guys!  Just wanted to introduce myself.  I'm completely new to both Unraid and doing anything server related.  But I had some old hardware laying around and thought, what the heck, lets set it up on the 30 day trial and see if I can figure this stuff out.  If I can, then I'll grab some hard drives and get serious about it.

I want to use this first off for Plex.  I want to get Sonarr and Radarr going and have them start grabbing shows I want either through torrent or usenet.  I have Plex installed, but haven't messed with Sonarr and Radarr yet.  I've been watching Space Invader One's videos and I think I  will be able to get it going but it's going to take time! 

Second I want to use it as a place to store documents and photos.  My wife takes lots of pictures and then creates digital scrapbooks with them.  We have been messing around with different cloud services and it's just not working how she wants.  She wants her photos all in one place that she can easily access and this seems pretty simple and straight forward to do.  I set up some Documents, Media, and Downloads user shares and set her up with an account.  I also figured out how to map it to her laptop so she can access her photos easily from the file manager.  So far so good there. 

I have one question on user shares though.  So I setup a Documents user share.  I set it to private and then gave myself and my wife read/write access.  However we both can see any documents that are placed in that folder.  Is there any way to keep them separate?  Like only I can see documents that I put in there and she can only see documents that she puts in there?  If not, any suggestions for a work around?

Also with Plex.  Is there a preference to using usenet or torrents?  I know that Space Invader recommends usenet, but I have ZERO experience with that!

9 minutes ago, hahler2 said:

I setup a Documents user share.  I set it to private and then gave myself and my wife read/write access.  However we both can see any documents that are placed in that folder.  Is there any way to keep them separate?  Like only I can see documents that I put in there and she can only see documents that she puts in there?  If not, any suggestions for a work around?

Separate user shares

10 minutes ago, hahler2 said:

She wants her photos all in one place

You still need backups.