SuperMicro x9dri-lnf4+ squeals like a stuck pig when shutting down?

Two instances of this in the past few weeks, once when upgrading UNRAID and the subsequent reboot, another when shutting down to add more RAM.  Server will get to the point of full shutdown, then all drive LEDs light up and it just screams in one long steady beep.  SuperMicro says this indicates a heat issue, but I don't see any alerts in IPMI, and the heatsinks don't feel any warmer than usual.  It will fully shut down with press of the power button, then reboot. First time it fails with a complaint about mounting a boot device. Hard press again, it boots up as if nothing ever happened.  While running, I don;t notice anything out of the ordinary.  Right now, it's running like a top, in fact I am typing this on a Win10 VM.   Am I about to lose something?

Flash and important data is backed up via crashplan as recently as last night, so I should be okay worst case scenario, but is this something I need to address or just wear ear protection when I reboot?

• 3 years later...
On 4/2/2020 at 2:02 PM, btrcp2000 said:

Two instances of this in the past few weeks, once when upgrading UNRAID and the subsequent reboot, another when shutting down to add more RAM.  Server will get to the point of full shutdown, then all drive LEDs light up and it just screams in one long steady beep.  SuperMicro says this indicates a heat issue, but I don't see any alerts in IPMI, and the heatsinks don't feel any warmer than usual.  It will fully shut down with press of the power button, then reboot. First time it fails with a complaint about mounting a boot device. Hard press again, it boots up as if nothing ever happened.  While running, I don;t notice anything out of the ordinary.  Right now, it's running like a top, in fact I am typing this on a Win10 VM.   Am I about to lose something?

Flash and important data is backed up via crashplan as recently as last night, so I should be okay worst case scenario, but is this something I need to address or just wear ear protection when I reboot?

I have just gotten one of these motherboards and am going to setup UnRaid on it.  Any tips for setting up the BIOS on this?  I was going to select optimized defaults and boot from USB flash.  I am not planning to run a video card at this point.  Do I need to?  Do you use IPMI?

I have another UnRaid server running already so I am somewhat familiar with UnRaid.   This motherboard is what’s new to me.