Firstime UnRAID user

derbo

Hi All,

My name is Derek and I'm fairly new to UnRAID. As my old plex server decided to die, I ended up looking at options for replacing it. In the end, I ended up converting my old gaming rig into an all-in-one machine UnRAID server. So far, its been fun! 

## Specifications

i7-4790

24GB DDR3 RAM (2x8GB,2x4GB)

2x10TB (1 Parity)

1x4TB

2x128GB SSD Cache-RAID1

Fractal Design Define 7 Case

Corsair CS550M PSU

Nvidia GTX970

UwJ6yfdh.jpg

p5obMuWh.jpg

I was originally going to buy a Define R6 but Define 7 was announced the week I was planning to buy! The new Define 7 has a fan hub at the top of the case which is interesting placement but overall, i love this case. Server sounds dead silent when fans are idle and when it is on, sound levels aren't terrible like a rack server. I ended up with 3x140mm front and 1x120mm rear fan for now. 

## Dockers running

Filebot, LetsEncrypt, Krusader, Ombi, Netdata, Telegraf, InfluxDB, Grafana, Plex, Varken, Folding@Home

## VM that is runs from time to time

Macinabox

## Future expansion

SAS controller (one of the onboard SATA ports went bad)

7 more drives! 

Possible new PSU as needed

Possible 1660 super GPU to reduce wattage/H265 support for Plex

Cheers everyone :)

• Like 1

Welcome to Unraid.

Good job with the cable there. That is very neat.

A few unsolicited tips for you:

• Ask yourself whether the data in cache pool needs RAID-1 or not. If you are not storing any important data on there, you can make your SSD last even longer by separating write heavy and ready heavy data to 2 SSD instead. The write heavy SSD (e.g. for download temps) should be almost empty most of the time except when data is being written to it. That will minimise write magnification and wear leveling and thus enhance your SSD lifespan.
    • Alternatively, the next time you get a new SSD (which presumably should be larger than 128GB, they don't make that size anymore), add that as a single-drive cache pool instead and just cp data over from the old cache pool. Then use the old 128GB for write-heavy stuff.
    • With the right treatment, SSD's last forever (I still have a 128GB SATA II (yes, TWO) that does not have even a single reallocated sector despite going way over its rated endurance rating).
  • Aim to get fewer large capacity drives instead of more smaller ones. The more drives you have, the more likely you will have a failed drive. And make sure to preclear each drive before adding to the array to weed out the "infant mortality".
  • Are you running Unraid Nvidia? If you want to use the 1660 (or 970) outside of a VM for Plex, you will need Unraid Nvidia build. Read up on it (there's a forum topic) before jumping in.
    • Alternatively, you can pass through the GPU to a VM (with an OS that supports Nvidia e.g. Windows) and run Plex in there. There's a lot of overhead with this + passing through GPU isn't the easiest thing to do but that's one alternative to consider.
  • Change your CPU cooler fan config. It's better to set it to push air onto the cooler and then (pulled) through the rear exhaust fan. That way you kinda create a push-pull config that works a bit better than a double pull from the look of it right now.

Edited by testdasi
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, testdasi said:

Welcome to Unraid.

Good job with the cable there. That is very neat.

A few unsolicited tips for you:

• Ask yourself whether the data in cache pool needs RAID-1 or not. If you are not storing any important data on there, you can make your SSD last even longer by separating write heavy and ready heavy data to 2 SSD instead. The write heavy SSD (e.g. for download temps) should be almost empty most of the time except when data is being written to it. That will minimise write magnification and wear leveling and thus enhance your SSD lifespan.
    • Alternatively, the next time you get a new SSD (which presumably should be larger than 128GB, they don't make that size anymore), add that as a single-drive cache pool instead and just cp data over from the old cache pool. Then use the old 128GB for write-heavy stuff.
    • With the right treatment, SSD's last forever (I still have a 128GB SATA II (yes, TWO) that does not have even a single reallocated sector despite going way over its rated endurance rating).
  • Aim to get fewer large capacity drives instead of more smaller ones. The more drives you have, the more likely you will have a failed drive. And make sure to preclear each drive before adding to the array to weed out the "infant mortality".
  • Are you running Unraid Nvidia? If you want to use the 1660 (or 970) outside of a VM for Plex, you will need Unraid Nvidia build. Read up on it (there's a forum topic) before jumping in.
    • Alternatively, you can pass through the GPU to a VM (with an OS that supports Nvidia e.g. Windows) and run Plex in there. There's a lot of overhead with this + passing through GPU isn't the easiest thing to do but that's one alternative to consider.
  • Change your CPU cooler fan config. It's better to set it to push air onto the cooler and then (pulled) through the rear exhaust fan. That way you kinda create a push-pull config that works a bit better than a double pull from the look of it right now.

Thank you! This is my first time with Fractal Design and this is a very well-made case. I love the cable management and I know it can be neater! I will also get going on labels soon enough. Cable management is a dream without custom cables! I did setup for future expansion with the cable routes for at least 5 more drives.

I appreciate the tips.

1. Currently, AppDATA is setup to cache only but also backed up via CA AppData/Backup to one of the HDDs. I will work on a better gameplan for that. I do appreciate the concern for these hand me down SSDs. I figure I would keep these running until the SMART status shows wear aging and purchase some new ones down the line, most likely 2x1TB. Currently, I do not use it as a temp are for writing stuff yet. The  HDD disks are usually spinning due to plex access the benefits of downloading new content to the SSD doesn't seem very beneficial at the moment. Based on that, write is very low on the SSD at the moment as Plex transcoding uses /dev/shm too. 

2. The HGST4TB was existing and WD10TB shuckable was existings and I purchased a new WD10TB shuckable to get started here. I definitely anticipate buying 10-12TB drives from now on. Preclearing definitely took forever on a 10TB when I did them all. After reading so much about preclear here and infant mortality it is definitely not a bad idea to do preclearing on all drives prior to installation despite how long it takes. 

3. Yes I am! It is patched and able to run 13 transcodes on the 970 with about 70W reported from Nvidia-SMI. Plex Docker has been happy with this + transcoding on /dev/shm

4. I totally forgot this pic was taken when I was fiddling with the CPU fan configuration. It was setup as a pull case fan, pull CPU fan for the sake of easier to clean the CPU heatsink. I then realized after taking this pic that it would be better with the CPU pushing the air through. 

I appreciate the analyzing. 

1 hour ago, Benson said:

Photograph feeling like it is mini case. 😆

A good case for 3.5" disk.

I blame portrait modes lol. 

The best part is that it resides in my old room at my parents where they have Sonic.net 1Gbps up/down with no data caps or monitoring. Hourly speedtests plugin shows roughly 800-900 symmetric speeds which makes it a fun one for plex! Pretty much have automated requesting/downloading/sorting for Plex and just enjoying now. 

Edited by derbo
  • 1 year later...

I ended up adding a few more items over the past year or so. 

• Nvidia 1650 Super for Plex transcoding (Not bad for what it is!)
  • Dell H310 LSI9211-8i
  • 2x SK Hynix 500GB SSD for Cache pool
  • 2x 14TB, 1x10TB when there were shuckables on sale
  • Ignore the hanging SSD..that was a 512GB Samsung SSD that I'm using with Unassigned devices. 

IMG_1307.jpeg

IMG_1305.jpeg

Edited by derbo