Multiple disk errors during parity drive upgrade

Something terrible seems to have happened to my server while I was performing some upgrades 😨

I wanted to replace the existing 10TB parity drive with a 14TB one so that I could add larger capacity drives to the array. I ran a parity check beforehand, which reported 0 errors.

After replacing the drive, Unraid began a parity rebuild, but didn't get very far before all drives in the array began spewing errors into the system log. I've tried the process a couple more times & the same thing keeps happening. After stopping the parity check & attempting a recursive ls on each disk, some files/directories can be accessed while others fail with "Input/output error". I can't view the SMART status of any of the drives either; it just says that "a mandatory command failed".

What the hell has happened?? How could all 7 disks in the array simultaneously go bad, after a full parity check beforehand not report any errors?

I didn't touch any of the cables to the array drives during the upgrade... the new drive is connected to a totally different SATA controller/PSU power cable. In the interest of full disclosure, I also added more RAM to the system recently, but this has been in place for a week without issues, and was there during the parity check prior to adding the new drive.

screenshot_2020-04-02_at_19_41_16.png.4b0e41ba15764730e28051e20cf68bf7.png

holt-diagnostics-20200403-1326.zip

12 minutes ago, jam said:

I'm guessing that the motherboard is screwed then?

I wouldn't say the motherboard is bad, since this happens with multiple Ryzen models, so possibly a kernel/compatibility issue, you can also try v6.9-beta1 which uses a much newer kernel, if still the same then a different model board might help, if you're lucky.

18 hours ago, jam said:

Okay, I'm quietly confident that the 6.9 beta is working properly 🤞The parity rebuild is at 10% now without errors; it never reached 5% before.

I'm having similar issues on a x399 TR board - Did the rebuild complete with the 6.9-beta release?

Just now, dcoulson said:

I'm having similar issues on a x399 TR board - Did the rebuild complete with the 6.9-beta release?

It’s still going but it’s reached 75% without issues. I’m using an X399 TR board too (ASRock Taichi) so I’d recommend giving the beta a try.

On 4/4/2020 at 7:50 AM, jam said:

It’s still going but it’s reached 75% without issues. I’m using an X399 TR board too (ASRock Taichi) so I’d recommend giving the beta a try.

Did it complete successfully? I tried the beta and had the same issue. Trying with IOMMU disabled in the BIOS now...