Drives never spin down

hi all, long time happy user.  I've noticed that my drives never seem to spin down on one of my servers.  seemed to happen around the time i installed radarr but might be coincidence

also, is seems to be leveliing out the drives, meaning I have almost the exact same amount of free space on each drive.  shares are set to high water, so maybe this is correct

any recommendations?  diagnostics attached

tower-diagnostics-20200403-1228.zip

@grither Had a quick look at your settings. If you manually force a spin down of the drives and they fire backup straight away then you have I/O activity on your drives from 1 or more sources. If you are sure you have no activity from yourself and others then it is most likely from your docker.

I can see that your cache settings are mixed on the shares. You need appdata and any constant activity based functions i.e. VMs, APPs on 'only' mode for cache. That way you avoid unnecessary drive spin ups.

You can also use the view share to verify if a share your expecting to only have storage on the cache is true:
image.png.89fa875af67c2652b2f1fb8b8a7f7053.pngimage.png.9d18cd1c63d4a204a5f78c2a4a9f86ee.png

thanks for the tips.  now set appdata and one other back share to be cache only.  also noticed i had 3 files on the cache (movie files) that the mover wouldn't move.  wonder if it was continually trying?  anyway deleted them and spun down drives.  they have stayed down for an hour so far, which is progress!  thanks again

@grither happy to help :)
p.s If you have stuck files on the cache drive that will not move even when manual is used, this is generally caused by miss config of the cache setting.
There are 2:
1. Cache Settings - located in your Settings -> Global Share Settings
2. The share itself for minimum disk space

SSDs need to be equal or less than 80% of their total usable capacity which is what setting 1 is for

The share setting capacity is designed for the drives in your array, however, if the cache drive is enabled on the share then the setting applies to the cache drive too; subsequently overriding the Global Share Setting.

thanks for the info.  after watching this for a day, looks like if i spin them down, they stay down for only about half an hour.

wonder if this is due to using both sonarr and radarr?  I tried the file activity plugin but can't really get it to work.  I click start and it shows running, then I come back to it and it's stopped

@grither docker apps cannot see each other unless specifically configured, the activity app is for SMB activity.
Have you paused your suspected apps, unless you have them configured with different schedules they can be set to keep drive activity to a minimum.

I can view all content files in list through SMB without triggering the drives if the file itself is not opened.