Quick question on Virtualization esx - unraid vm

I want to run VM's (mini lab), Plex and NAS stores on the new server I am building.  I am trying to asses whether I need unraid as primary system or esxi / esx (thinking of purchasing license).   I use fully delivered and configured .ova's for most of the VM's.  Plex and the rest should be fine but the VM's are primary.   

I have never have used UnRaid before so I need help from you guru's in making good decisions here on approach.  Can Unraid be a VM? I know I read some where it can but not supported. Also does the Unraid VM system load up .ova's?

I am also thinking does that shoot the file system in the foot running unraid as a VM?    I have a lot to learn incorporating unraid in this build so I need help.  One of the reasons I am asking is most of the threads are 2015.. 5 years ago.. Things might be different now. 

Thanks for any thoughts. 

the hardware will be super huge so no issues with power and processing. 

Edited by 5STAR
10 hours ago, 5STAR said:

Can Unraid be a VM?

Yes, i'm using it for years for now, i have two unraid VMs in one ESXi (free) server. and yes, this config is not supported.

Also does the Unraid VM system load up .ova's?

not sure, why it is needed. cos you boot unraid from USB and it runs completely in RAM. for storage you pass entire controller to unraid VM usually, but you can pass single drive too using RDM (raw device mapping). Virtual drives are supported too, i used one for docker image, but it's not a usual way.

One of the reasons I am asking is most of the threads are 2015.. 5 years ago

VMWare is so stable so changes are really small if any in these 5 years..

BTW, i'm in process on moving my server to Proxmox - time will tell if i stay with that or no - first week up and running, but setup Proxmox is much harder than ESXi - so much more manual tuning available on Proxmox side, but then it's more flexible cos it's just pure Debian Linux. 

12 hours ago, uldise said:

not sure, why it is needed. cos you boot unraid from USB and it runs completely in RAM. for storage you pass entire controller to unraid VM usually, but you can pass single drive too using RDM (raw device mapping). Virtual drives are supported too, i used one for docker image, but it's not a usual way.

I think I might of asked this wrong.  I was looking to see if I don't need ESX at all?  does the VM server that comes with UnRaid allow VMware .ova formats ?  Or do I absolutely need esxi.  I am going to stay with VMWare formats to keep consistent with what my company uses.

On the last questions about the reason I was inquiring about the 5 year old posts because I was thinking there may have been major changes in UnRaid not vmware and wanted to see if the question was even relevant anymore. 

I have assumptions now after I have been reading more:  I would have to use standard RAID that comes with the motherboard SATA configuration for ESXi Configuration.  I would also have to install a 2nd HBA for the UnRaid configuration.  

Lets say I have 6 10tb disks.  I would use 3 in raid 5 configuration from on board motherboard raid settings,  I would then install the H310 hba card I purchased for UnRaid in IT Mode configuration and I would assign the other 3 disks to that hba for use with the UnRaid VM.  

I guess there would be nothing wrong in doing this without any degradation?  Additionally, I will need graphics card passthrough for Plex as well as other items like usb etc.  

This community is awesome and when I get this down and working perfectly I will also participate and share my experience.  

does the VM server that comes with UnRaid allow VMware .ova formats

sorry, don't know, i'm not using any VMs on unraid itself - all VMs are on ESXi side..

I have assumptions now after I have been reading more:  I would have to use standard RAID that comes with the motherboard SATA configuration for ESXi Configuration.  I would also have to install a 2nd HBA for the UnRaid configuration.  

if you plan use your RAID5 for ESXi datastores and then pass HBA to unraid VM - it should work just fine. i run similar configuration in past - i made RAID1 volume on motherboard RAID controller, and them RDM that volume to unraid and use it as cache drive.

I guess there would be nothing wrong in doing this without any degradation?

it should run near bare-metal if you have sufficient hardware. see my sig for example(to view signatures, you have to enable that in your forum profile)  

Outstanding.  I think I will setup a raid volume for esxi on motherboard.  I have an m.2 nvme drive and an additional hba controller just for UnRaid I will use for unraid/plex/NAS.    I think this will be the best.  After researching UnRaid I like it and will use it from now on.    This will be quite the step up from my WD PR2100 lol and I can finally get a lab that is useful.   If something is off here feel free to point them out.  I am an UnRaid newb but will be pro after this build :)

Edited by 5STAR