Disk Wrong

Ok so I think I may have messed up :(
Backstory:
I have a Dell R510 that had a PERC H700 card in it. At the time I was in a rush to get the server set up and the card wouldn't allow for JBOD mode, so I set my 6 spinning disks as a RAID 5 and then set up UNRAID. I had a 512GB SSD that was on the SATA bus but not part of the RAID 5 array, and that's where I stored all my VM's Flash Forward to today and I've decided to fix that issue. I backed up all my data (except the VM's) and I am trying to get the array online, but UNRIAD won't let me re-assign the SSD as disk 2 like it used to be, tells it's it's "wrong". Is there any way to either reassign the disk as Disk 2 or ideally, assign is at a lower disk (set disk 1-5 as the data disk now that they're a JBOD and not RAID 5 array and then set the SSD as Disk 6 but tell UNRAID "Yo that disk has the VM's on it, so be a sport and spin them up for me why don't ya?")

5 hours ago, binaryhellstorm said:

UNRIAD won't let me re-assign the SSD as disk 2 like it used to be

Maybe I'm missing something but my understanding is that an SSD used within the array is not ideal because it won't support trim. Why not assign SSD as cache?

5 hours ago, binaryhellstorm said:

"Yo that disk has the VM's on it, so be a sport and spin them up for me why don't ya?"

Again, that is what most of us use the cache for, maybe I'm misunderstanding you though...

Edited by Dissones4U
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, Dissones4U said:

an SSD used within the array is not ideal because it won't support trim. Why not assign SSD as cache?

Again, that is what most of us use the cache for

^ What he said.

There has even been some discussion whether or not some models of SSD might invalidate parity.

9 hours ago, Dissones4U said:

Maybe I'm missing something but my understanding is that an SSD used within the array is not ideal because it won't support trim. Why not assign SSD as cache?

Again, that is what most of us use the cache for, maybe I'm misunderstanding you though...

I have no objections to doing that, is there a way to move the VMs off the old SSD and then re-import them?

4 hours ago, binaryhellstorm said:

is there a way to move the VMs off the old SSD and then re-import them?

NOTE:  I'm not confident that I fully comprehend how the file path for VMs are invoked. I suspect that if the current path says something like /mnt/user/isos and there was no cache, then we can add a cache, set the share(s) to cache prefer and the path known to the VM will still work because, while the disk path has changed, the share path has not. I don't fully grasp symlinks so anyone please correct me if this is wrong.

Aside from the SSD, you can do what these guys are telling you with the new config process, if you follow trurl's advice your data will be completely intact, and will not need to be reloaded. However, parity will have to rebuild because you've removed the old data disk 2 (the SSD).

EDIT: Actually the data may have to be reloaded if the original disks were striped?

The only addition would be to backup your SSD first and then:

• Assign the SSD to the cache slot during the new config process (choose xfs for cache UNLESS you intend to create a multi-disk cache pool)
  • Start the array and verify that you have the shares isos, domains, system, appdata and that they are set to cache prefer
  • Now move the data files from the SSD backup folders into the corresponding cache folders: (isos, domains, system, appdata)
    • If for some reason your original SSD folders were not named to the unRaid defaults (isos, domains, system, appdata) we'll need to fix that
  • Once the data has been transferred, verify that your newly added cache drive looks like your backup of the SSD as it was.

Ultimately, please make certain that everything is backed up before you begin. 

If any of you experts see an issue with my explanation, please feel free to correct me

13 hours ago, Benson said:

You can clear all disk assignment config by "Tools" -> "New config".

13 hours ago, trurl said:

Just make sure you don't assign a data drive to the parity slot, or its data will be overwritten with parity.

Edited by Dissones4U
Added info
5 hours ago, Dissones4U said:

NOTE:  I'm not confident that I fully comprehend how the file path for VMs are invoked. I suspect that if the current path says something like /mnt/user/isos and there was no cache, then we can add a cache, set the share(s) to cache prefer and the path known to the VM will still work because, while the disk path has changed, the share path has not. I don't fully grasp symlinks so anyone please correct me if this is wrong.

Aside from the SSD, you can do what these guys are telling you with the new config process, if you follow trurl's advice your data will be completely intact, and will not need to be reloaded. However, parity will have to rebuild because you've removed the old data disk 2 (the SSD).

EDIT: Actually the data may have to be reloaded if the original disks were striped?

The only addition would be to backup your SSD first and then:

• Assign the SSD to the cache slot during the new config process (choose xfs for cache UNLESS you intend to create a multi-disk cache pool)
  • Start the array and verify that you have the shares isos, domains, system, appdata and that they are set to cache prefer
  • Now move the data files from the SSD backup folders into the corresponding cache folders: (isos, domains, system, appdata)
    • If for some reason your original SSD folders were not named to the unRaid defaults (isos, domains, system, appdata) we'll need to fix that
  • Once the data has been transferred, verify that your newly added cache drive looks like your backup of the SSD as it was.

Ultimately, please make certain that everything is backed up before you begin. 

If any of you experts see an issue with my explanation, please feel free to correct me

Hey thanks the info above, that and me getting out of the mental lock of treating UNRAIDS VMs as magic instead of the VM's I've used in every other facet of my life, lol. Ended up making a new VM for each machine with similar settings and then just using Krusader to move the .img for each machines disk over to the appropriate folder and that did it!

Thank you all for the advice and getting me back up and running!