virbr0 and br0 diferences and how to use them

4 minutes ago, L0rdRaiden said:

So you can go from br0 to virtbr0 but anthing in virtbr0 can go out?

I am thing now a use case to use virtbr0... since I already use Vlans in my fw.

Not if I understand you correctly :(

A docker/VM that uses virbr0 can connect to dockers/VMs using br0, but the converse is not true.  

3 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Not if I understand you correctly :(

A docker/VM that uses virbr0 can connect to dockers/VMs using br0, but the converse is not true.  

Ok, I read wrong your first explanation. I get it now.

But still I am trying to understand a scenario where this is usefull or makes any difference vs having all in br0 and the use VLANs to control the traffic.

• 4 months later...

@itimpiGiven my two options are virb0 and br0, which is appropriate for wanting my VM to be able to accept SSH connections from anywhere on my network?

I wish my router to assign the VM an IP address.

When I select br0, my VM does not get internet access. When I select virb0, my VM has internet access, I can VNC into the VM from Unraid or a random machijne on my network. I can SSH into the VM from unraid but NOT from any machine on my network.

My goal is to SSH into the VM from any machine on my network. Any advice?

5 hours ago, GrehgyHils said:

When I select br0, my VM does not get internet access.

Using br0 is what you want to be using for your requirements.  You probably want to check from inside the VM that you have an IP address allocated by your router AND that a valid DNS address is set up.

When I select virb0, my VM has internet access, I can VNC into the VM from Unraid or a random machijne on my network.

This is expected.  When using VNC you are accessing the VM via VNC server running at the Unraid level and thus using the Unraid server's address.  Access to the internet via virbr0 is expected as virbr0 allows outgoing connections (and blocks incoming ones).

I can SSH into the VM from unraid but NOT from any machine on my network.

This is expected as when using virbr0 the VM is not visible on the local LAN.

My goal is to SSH into the VM from any machine on my network. Any advice?

You need to get br0 working to be able to do this as br0 allows incoming connections.

• Like 1