10Gbps transfer speed limited - Mellanox ConnectX-3

Hello together,

I finally built my Unraid rig, which is based on a Dell T20 with following hardware:

- CPU: Xeon E3-1225 v3 @3.20 GHz

- 16 GB DDR ECC RAM @1600 MHz

- 10Gbps NIC Mellanox ConnectX-3

- Cache Drive: Samsung MZFLV256 NVMe PCIe M.2 256GB (Should reach 10Gbps easily, at least for read-only)

- HDD: WD Red 6TB

Sadly, I'm not even close to transfer files at 10 Gbps, I'm reaching around 300 - 400 Mbyte/s when transfering files via SMB to the cache drive, from a local SSD of my system (Crucial MX 500). The transfer was tested between two systems, both using a Mellanox ConnectX-3 Card and both connected via SFP+ to the same switch in the same VLAN.

Running iPerf (which should measure the raw network transfer rate, excluding a potential bottleneck of a SSD) gives me following result shown in the screenshot.

Could someone help me to find the bottleneck of my system?

Thanks a lot and stay healthy!

iperf-test.png

Edited by Taramu

Thanks, this topic was an interesting read. Sadly I'm not using an Antivirus which could limit the transfer speed. I'm testing with a clean Windows 10 installation on which Windows Defender was disabled completely.

The switch between both systems is a Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN running SwOS with the latest software. Both systems are connected via SFP+ and shown with 10Gbps link speed. Since there is no routing between and both systems are in a plain Layer 2 network, the bottleneck should not come from the network. I hope.

I booted the second system also with Unraid and connected both Mellanox ConnectX-3 cards via SFP+ together. Set static IPs for both systems in the same subnet and installed iPerf 3 on both systems. The result is even worse. The transfer rate is below 3.0 Gbit/s now.

Is there anything I can do directly at the Unraid systems? I guess something seems wrong here, the results should be much better. I tried the latest stable 6.8.3 and the latest 6.9-beta1.

11 minutes ago, Taramu said:

I stopped troubleshooting at the Windows side and set both systems to Unraid. Same problem sadly, even with a direct connection between both systems.

In fact Unraid almost no NIC settiing for change. I try different NIC and platform ( AMD nor Intel ) also no issue, iperf drop only found at Windows side.

Pls check PCIe slot link width or provide diagnostics for ref.

What TX RX optical power show on Mikrotik ?

Edited by Benson

I guess I can't lookup the optical power at my Mikrotik, because I'm using SwOS. What I'm seeing are the RX / TX rates and the error count. There are no errors and data gets transfered. I don't have another SFP+ cable to check if this one is the culprit. I'm using following cable:

https://www.fs.com/de/products/30760.html

Is it possible to get diagnostic values for the PCIe slots via Unraid?

I also use Mikrotik SwOS, in SFP page should got the optical figure.

Suggest install tips and tweak plugin to turn off NIC flow control.

6 minutes ago, Taramu said:

Is it possible to get diagnostic values for the PCIe slots via Unraid?

Seems not if Mellanox, but Intel X520 have.

Edited by Benson

SwOS doesn't display any values for TX / RX optical power on my switch. I changed the cabling and replaced the SFP+ passive cable from FS with an active cable from Netgear, which I use to connect my Switch Uplinks. Same issue with the speed, I'm starting to think the network is not the problem.

Does someone have a suggestion what to check next? I'll probably try every PCIe slot of both PCs, even if the Mellanox cards are connected to 16x Gen3 PCIe slots right now.

• 3 months later...

I passed the ConnectX-3 card straight to the win10 VM on the exact same Unraid server that I was getting the 2.5gbps and I was able to get 10gbps speeds I was expecting. I was using iperf3 to confirm all of this along with 20gb file transfers. There has to be a bug or something within Unraid and I spent about a week troubleshooting this issue.

It wouldn't be in unRaid per-se, it would be with the Linux Kernel Drivers for it. So try passing it through to a UNIX Flavor VM, maybe Ubuntu and see what that can do? Maybe some sort of CPU governor scaling issues with what you have set for unraid?

Edited by BRiT