tcpdump unMenu package

To help another user troubleshoot some networking issues between unRAID and an embedded device I have compiled tcpdump and libpcap packages which are available via unMenu.

While not for the faint of heart, if you are experiencing network problems between your unRAID server and another system or embedded device tcpdump can help you analyze the network traffic to aid in determining the problem.

More information on tcpdump:

tcpdump website

man page

Great tutorial by Daniel Miessler

A few caveats:

When logging network traffic for media files, it is easy to generate a lot of data.  If you are running a capture that may be large, be sure you are not logging directly to your flash drive or the ramdrive as they may fill up rather quickly.  If you have a cache drive, that is the recommended logging location; if not, log directly to one of the drives in your array.

If you are analyzing more than a few packets, it may be easier to log the data with tcpdump and use Wireshark to analyze the file.  To do this you need to make sure to capture the complete packet.  The Wireshark docs have the required info here.

Post back if you run into any problems or have any questions.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

This has been stagnant for a while but I recently stumbled upon it trying to find if someone had figured out a way to get tcpdump installed.  After poking around a bit I found the URL below in the package info at https://code.google.com/p/unraid-unmenu/source/browse/trunk/tcpdump-unmenu-package.conf?spec=svn202&r=202.  However, the URL is no longer valid so I was wondering if this had been updated somewhere.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~rdeaver1/unraid/tcpdump-4.1.1-i486-1.tgz