Oculus Quest w/ Oculus Link on Win 10 VM?

Hey folks,

I've been using unraid for a bit over a year and for christmas, I got an Oculus Quest.

Half-Life Alyx finally got me to take the plunge - I got the Anker cable that Oculus has on their support page... have it all hooked up and the Oculus App can't see the headset and the headset can't see the app.

That being said, I can see the the quest in the USB list for the VM and I've added it. I can also see certain quest pieces in the device manager in windows. I've tried it in multiple USB 3.0 ports. I've restarted the headset and the VM multiple times.

At this point, I'm open to suggestions. Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Tex8503,

Did you manage to get this to work? I'm running into a similar if not the same issue. When I plug in the quest I'm prompted to "allow access" on the quest, but the VM doesn't seem to see the device. I don't see it pop up in the explorer as an attached device like I do if I plug it into a bare metal setup.

I managed to get the Quest working through Virtual Desktop, but that requires SideLoading and a strong network. I was hoping to use Oculus Link to see if there's better performance.

It looks like the VM is only passing through pieces of the quest like you mentioned above. Watching some Spaceinvader One videos, the VM won't be able to or know to pass through the entire device without a USB controller. If you have a space PCIe slot you might be able solve it this way. I only have an ITX board so I'm seeing if there are alternatives.

Tex8503, not sure what motherboard or GPU you have, but try going through SpaceInvader One's tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UilWLtMYd-U. I'm running into an issue with the x570-I having the same USB controller address on different buses/IOMMU groups, but maybe you have a different board and will have different results. Just be careful when specifying the vfio-pci.id and make sure it isnt the same on other IOMMU groups. I didn't pay attention and the flash drive wasn't being read properly so I had to pull out the flash drive and fix the syslinux.cfg from a different computer.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finally getting back to this... and it seems that developer mode being on the Oculus Quest isn't great. Turning that off helped and I get the prompt now to ask if I want to let the PC access data on the device... according to the Oculus documentation, you're supposed to hit 'deny' - which I've done, but it doesn't seem to matter which I pick... I seem to be able to pass the Oculus to the VM, but the handshake between the Quest and the PC Oculus software doesn't happen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, I bought the same card and am passing it through to Proxmox 6.1-7. Unfortunately, when I start the VM receiving the passthrough, the whole of Proxmox hangs and I have to reboot the host. I'm just using the UI for the VM and passing the PCI card through like I do with the GPU but I assume there is something I'm missing here. @Magicmissle, can you give more details on how you achieved this please?

35 minutes ago, bowerandy said:

Hi, I bought the same card and am passing it through to Proxmox 6.1-7. Unfortunately, when I start the VM receiving the passthrough, the whole of Proxmox hangs and I have to reboot the host. I'm just using the UI for the VM and passing the PCI card through like I do with the GPU but I assume there is something I'm missing here. @Magicmissle, can you give more details on how you achieved this please?

@bowerandy I did have the freezing problem when I first started trying this I can’t remember specifically what the solution was but some of the things I changed were bios related to APCI and power management. I’m running a relatively old motherboard ASUS z10pe-d16-ws though, I haven’t upgrade because it lets me play with 512GB ram and 2x 22 core CPU’s.

I did notice a huge impact moving from legacy booting to UEFI, also another adventure was figuring out that windows VM’s played much better running as OVMF especially when passing GPU’s or other PCIE devices. I spent years fine tuning unraid from 5.x-6.x and never really got the same performance:headache ratio with proxmox. It worked out of the box minus minor tweaks.

I’m curious as to what your bootflags for grub are and more details about you system and configuration. I included some pictures so you can see how I’m passing my usb card to the gaming vm.

4990FEF4-3C96-47EA-8B5F-C62ECD61C147.jpeg

81ECC7F8-E861-4A82-9878-4F9D593519D5.png

CF475C47-8F92-420A-A667-31CDA2044EA4.jpeg

Edited by Magicmissle
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've spent the last 2 days trying to get the Oculus Quest 2 with link cable passed through with no luck. It will show up sometimes but doesn't actually work but usually just disconnects straight after it is connected. Unfortunatly I have a mini-itx mobo with only a single USB controller so passing through a pci-e card isn't an option. 

Anyone else have any ideas about how this could be resolved?

• 2 years later...

Interesting. Sorry to revive a conversation, but it's EXACTLY what I'm working on right now. When I try to play steam VR games through my PCIe passed-through USB-C card on my ASUS z10pa-d8, I just get a black screen. The game runs fine on the pcie-passed-through GTR 2080 ti when I don't try to use the oculus.