reusing old USB stick for fresh v6 install?

So I purchased an unraid key years ago (4.5) and I'm trying to do a fresh install to v6. I figured I might as well use my old USB stick since its 2GB and worked in the past. But I can't get a trial key - it says the USB guid is registered to another user...which well, is me. Is there no way for me to re-use this USB stick? Searching on the forum says that it shouldn't happen unless its been blacklisted? But why in the world would it be blacklisted?

22 minutes ago, aethyr said:

So I purchased an unraid key years ago (4.5) and I'm trying to do a fresh install to v6. I figured I might as well use my old USB stick since its 2GB and worked in the past. But I can't get a trial key - it says the USB guid is registered to another user...which well, is me. Is there no way for me to re-use this USB stick? Searching on the forum says that it shouldn't happen unless its been blacklisted? But why in the world would it be blacklisted?

You don't need a trial license.  You should just be able to upgrade to version 6 on the same USB flash drive using your existing license and it will remain registered to you.  The key is valid forever for all versions of unRAID.

The fact that you get that error indicates the license on that USB stick is still registered and valid for that flash drive.

• Like 1

How do I get it recognize my license? I'm on //tower webpage and it's asking me to purchase a license or get trial key? No option for upgrade?

Hmm, so I'm reading the upgrade documentation and it says I need to run the "New Permissions" tool. However, I can't run that tool because I need to have the array started, which I can't do if I don't have a license (trial or official).

Edited by aethyr
2 minutes ago, aethyr said:

How do I get it recognize my license? I'm on //tower webpage and it's asking me to purchase a license or get trial key? No option for upgrade?

Have you already upgraded to version 6 on the flash drive? 

I believe between version 4.x and version 6.x the location of the license key changed.  In version 6.x it is looking for a license (XXXX.key) in the /config folder.  On version 4.x it was just on the root of the flash drive, if I recall correctly.  If you find a .key file there, move it to the config folder.

• Like 1
Just now, Hoopster said:

Have you already upgraded to version 6 on the flash drive? 

I believe between version 4.x and version 6.x the location of the license key changed.  In version 6.x it is looking for a license (XXXX.key) in the /config folder.  On version 4.x it was just on the root of the flash drive, if I recall correctly.  If you find a .key file there, move it to the config folder.

So, I totally forgot about the key file and I had nuked my entire USB key by installing v6 using the USB install tool. Crap.

Just now, aethyr said:

So, I totally forgot about the key file and I had nuked my entire USB key by installing v6 using the USB install tool. Crap.

If you don't have a backup copy of the flash drive from before the upgrade and you don't have the email with your original license key, contact Limetech and they will sort it out for you and get you another copy of the .key file, as long as you remember your registration email address.  :)

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, aethyr said:

Another option is to use a different flash drive to get you going and get a trial license for it.  You can then transfer the valid license from the old GUID to the GUID of the new flash drive.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

If you don't have a backup copy of the flash drive from before the upgrade and you don't have the email with your original license key, contact Limetech and they will sort it out for you and get you another copy of the .key file, as long as you remember your registration email address.  :)

I found the original email with the key...but the key is at a link that is not longer working. I guess I have to contact limetech.

Just now, Hoopster said:

Another option is to use a different flash drive to get you going and get a trial license for it.  You can then transfer the valid license from the old GUID to the GUID of the new flash drive.

I'm trying that with a Patriot 16GB stick and the Flash Creator is not working - getting stuck at "Syncing File System..."

4 minutes ago, aethyr said:

I'm trying that with a Patriot 16GB stick and the Flash Creator is not working - getting stuck at "Syncing File System..."

The USB Flash Creator is picky sometimes.  I just skip it.  Download the latest version from unraid.net, unzip the files manually onto the new flash drive and run make_bootable.bat (if on Windows).  That worked for me last time when the USB Creator didn't like my flash drive.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1