Unraid - Thousands of DNS Queries

Hi Everyone,

Recently setup Pihole on a raspberry pi and noticed my unraid server is tallying thousands of dns queries.  It is querying for my router's dns name tens of thousands of times a day.  I have various docker containers like plex so I'm not sure if it's a docker that's performing these queries or if it's Unraid itself.  can someone point me in the right direction as to how to narrow this down?  

The name it queries is both 'edgerouter' and 'edgerouter.home', which is the name of my router (edgerouter), and the name of my network domain (home).

Anonymized diagnostics is attached.  

Thanks,

Rob

hpnas-diagnostics-20200406-1323.zip

22 hours ago, robd said:

Recently setup Pihole on a raspberry pi and noticed my unraid server is tallying thousands of dns queries.

Do you have the RPi/Pihole IP address set as the DNS for your server?  It is highly recommended that you not do that. Set the server DNS to Google DNS, Cloudflare, ISP DNS or something else.

It is also recommended that you assign a static IP address to your server rather than a DHCP address.  If you are using DHCP for the server, it is going to pick up the DHCP DNS server (Pihole) as well.

There is no reason why your unRAID server should need to use PiHole as a DNS.  It should be only the DNS set in your router that is used by the attached clients (give your server a static IP address).

I personally use Cloudflare as the server DNS in Settings --> Network --> eth0

image.png.6b49b831a497abe4b28b1a0c1642191b.png

In my router, I have set the Pihole IP (192.168.1.60) as the primary DNS with Cloudflare and Google as backups

image.png.98b602475d5634db3366cf6ad6ae3f17.png

Edited by Hoopster
  • 3 years later...

hey. Old topic. But I was just seeing the same thing. My adguard-home is catching tons of requests that are repeated over time. All local requests, so they get a NX Domain response anyway!
Apart from me going to have Unraid use a standard DNS address, i was still wondering...why does it make those requests anyway?
They are all dns addresses of known open source projects, like pihole, traktarr, etc. Most of which i dont even have installed! So why make them? It literally looks like about 50 requests at once. To all known open source projects from A-Z.

Edited by Kees Fluitman