Hardware compatibility

Hello im planing to built a Storage/Nas server. Its the first time im going to do a build like this.

So i want to ask if the hardware i choose will work fine with Unraid and if theres anything i could change.

Here is the build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

Motherboard: MSI B450M Mortar Max 

RAM: Cortsair Vengeance 2x4 GB DDR4 3000mhz

NVME for cache: Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Storage: Seagate Skyhawk 4TB 7200rpm

48 minutes ago, Akumasquare said:

So i want to ask if the hardware i choose will work fine with Unraid and if theres anything i could change.

There isn't much that is recommended against, the beauty of unRaid is that it is, for the most part, hardware agnostic: 

• I know that Marvel controllers are to be steered clear of, it looks like you have 4 sata ports so keep this in mind if you buy a controller
  • Don't plug your flash into USB 3, this board has 6 USB 2 ports and it looks like 8 USB 3, so make sure you're using the right one
  • Ryzen may necessitate some work arounds ==> Read the FAQ - What can I do to keep my Ryzen based server from crashing/locking up with Unraid?
  • You only have two memory channels, I'd put more than 8GB in, however it will do as long as you're not doing too much with VMs and Dockers

I did a quick search on the forum and nothing jumped out at me other than this. Keep in mind, they are discussing gaming, but testdasi is speaking directly about your CPU

If you can afford the 2700, get it instead of the 2600. A 2600 is a crippled 2700

Anyway, I don't see any major issues, here is a guy with a very similar build the thread is probably a good read because they are discussing variations very similar to your proposed setup.

Edited by Dissones4U
  • Like 1

Thank you for your reply it was realy helpful.

I read the post you mention and i decide to change the cpu to AMD 3200G the ram as u said i change them to 3200Mhz so its compatible with the cpu and finaly i change the motherboard to  ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING which is x6 sata so im ok for now.

I  dont plan to do many VM and stuff like that i thing only one VM so i dont need much RAM or a powerfull CPU.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...