Hardlinks (SOLVED)

Hi All

A quick question, which I am hoping someone can answer...

I am just starting to organise my Plex media and decided to have /mnt/user/Plex/Movies/ and /mnt/user/Plex/Kids-Movies/... rather than duplicating media I am planning on just creating hardlinks in the /mnt/user/Plex/Kids-Movies/ directory as I know Plex doesnt play with symlinks... so I created one and it was perfect - the added media was acailable in the Kids-Movies section in Plex.

But, my question is this - when I look at the filesize (WinSCP) of the hardlink it shows the same size as the file its linking to... i.e. approx 2Gb - is this normal as I would have expected it to show something in the region of 1k!

I just want to make sure that I am not burning my free space by creating a load of hardlinks.

Thanks in advance ;-)

Edited by SliMat
2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

A hard link is merely another directory entry pointing to the same file.    If it did NOT show the same size then you would have a serious problem. :)   The overhead of the hard link is the extra directory entry.

Many thanks - I thought this would be the case, but in the back of my mind I wondered if it should show the size of the link or the size of the media file... 🙂