[Support] Tailscale Support Thread

4 hours ago, orlando500 said:

@dsmith44 hi what interval is new builds uploaded to unraid app store? i see the tailscale is saying the current docker is running an old version.

Typically within a week or so. Normally whenever I get a github notification to say there has been a new version released which isn't instanly.

With something like a VPN I also tend to think it worth having a gap, especially as many people use latest tag. Pushing new builds to everyone doesn't seem a great idea as Tailscale often do very rapid minor point releases after bugs are found. Being a week or so off feels like the right approach.

There are really not going to be any issues being one release behind either.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, dsmith44 said:

Typically within a week or so. Normally whenever I get a github notification to say there has been a new version released which isn't instanly.

With something like a VPN I also tend to think it worth having a gap, especially as many people use latest tag. Pushing new builds to everyone doesn't seem a great idea as Tailscale often do very rapid minor point releases after bugs are found. Being a week or so off feels like the right approach.

There are really not going to be any issues being one release behind either.

yeah i totaly agree. just wanted to know the intervals :-) thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Having a lot of issues getting this working if anybody could help. Once enabled (as "host" network), my other containers on "bridge" network don't have internet access. If under "host" they're fine. They don't respond to ping requests to IPs, so not a DNS issue. When I first installed the plugin I had to change my unraid DNS settings because once the tailscale container is running, I can't access local addresses and DNS requests were failing. I finally got that fixed, and I can ping domains from the host now, but other containers can't. I've tried enabling "preserve custom networks" and "Host access to custom networks" but no joy.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a heck of a time getting this set up.  I followed a few guides to get this up and I can access my unraid from an outside network.  However, I'm trying to get it so I can access the internet through tailscale via my unraid.  This part I'm not able to get to work.  Here are the errors I get when I connect.

2021/09/15 23:38:36 [unexpected] peerapi listen("fd7a:115...........)  error: listen tcp6 [fd7..............)  bind: cannot assign requested address

When I first boot it up, I get the following.

2021/09/15 23:20:35 router: disabling tunneled IPv6 due to system IPv6 config: kernel doesn't support IPv6 policy routing: ip -6 rule failed: RTNETLINK answers: Address family not supported by protocol

2021/09/15 23:20:35 health("overall"): error: state=NeedsLogin, wantRunning=false

Warning: net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding is disabled. Subnet routes won't work.

I have forwarding enabled.

fs.inotify.max_user_watches = 524288
net.core.rmem_max = 16777216
net.core.wmem_max = 16777216
net.ipv4.tcp_rmem = 4096 87380 16777216
net.ipv4.tcp_wmem = 4096 65536 16777216
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding = 1

so i'm just stuck.

8 minutes ago, shrekfx said:

Yes, it returns 1.

Are you running the latest version of the container available (:latest)? If so our environments should be identical. The only thing I had to change to get mine working was turning IPv6 forwarding on for the host, which you've done too.

Edited by Alexstrasza
3 minutes ago, Alexstrasza said:

Are you running the latest version of the container available (:latest)? If so our environments should be identical. The only thing I had to change to get mine working was turning IPv6 forwarding on for the host, which you've done too.

Yes, set for the latest.  Is it possible that ipv6 is turned off somewhere else?

On 9/16/2021 at 7:06 PM, shrekfx said:

So the tunnel itself works fine.  I can connect and access my unraid dashboard and what not.  However, when I try to access the internet, nothing goes through.  That is where I am stuck at and everything is pointing to ipv6.

Ah... have you made sure that "Host access to custom networks" is set to "Enabled" in your UnRaid docker settings?

On 9/18/2021 at 8:48 PM, shrekfx said:

I enabled it and still can’t connect out. Disabled tailspin and went back to wiregaurd and that is working fine. *shrug*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I'm afraid I can't help here, but I would point out that this was always specifically designed to not be used for a site to site VPN, and even more not as a VPN gateway. The purpose of this container was always to provide access to your host over tailscale only.

We added the ability to pass custom arguments that could support this, but it still isn't a designed use and certainly not something I'm ever going to be testing in updates even if you can get it working.

You might be better off just using the inbuilt wireguard support for VPN usage.

EDIT: 🦈-> 🛡️

Edited by dsmith44