[Support] Tailscale Support Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot for the life of me get this to work with my samba shares on Unraid... It USED to work, but it hasn't worked at all for quite a few versions.

Here is my setup:

1. Installed Tailscale on my Unraid with this docker container (also set available as an exit node)

2. Installed Tailscale on my Laptop

3. Set up a DNS via Talscale blah-blah.ts.net

4. Connected both machines via Tailscale

5. On my laptop I've tried //TOWER/storage (cannot find) and mapping a network drive. eg. //tailscale_ip/share1, http://tailscale_dns/share1 and basically every single combination.

It was some many months ago I could simply go into my Network Locations in Windows and just type //TOWER and all my shares would show up. Now after an update of Tailscale or Unraid etc. this no longer happens. I could also map the network drives with simply: //tailscale_dns/share1

Nothing like this works anymore. It seems to try and connect because there's a lag whilst it attempts a connection but I just keep getting errors from Windows like:

image.png.da847a4771a9ec1c4fdaf23a579a2923.png

image.png.3a9558ca91435738dfb5d6cf52d58fd9.png

It never even asks me for my share username and password.

Please someone, some help? Doesn't matter if I set to use an exit node or not. What could I be missing?

This seriously should be as simple as installing Tailscale on both devices, turning it on and then adding the share... That's meant to be the point of Tailscale.

EDIT: Could this be the issue? Something wrong with Unraid itself that changed during an update? 

to work flawlessly. Just install on both machines and don't even need to set any extra settings. I could mount things no problem. After a few updates of Tailscale and Unraid it just stopped working.

As I said, this used

Edited by plantsandbinary
I cannot for the life of me get this to work with my samba shares on Unraid... It USED to work, but it hasn't worked at all for quite a few versions.

Here is my setup:

1. Installed Tailscale on my Unraid with this docker container (also set available as an exit node)
5. On my laptop I've tried //TOWER/storage (cannot find) and mapping a network drive. eg. //tailscale_ip/share1, http://tailscale_dns/share1 and basically every single combination.

It was some many months ago I could simply go into my Network Locations in Windows and just type //TOWER and all my shares would show up. Now after an update of Tailscale or Unraid etc. this no longer happens. I could also map the network drives with simply: //tailscale_dns/share1

Nothing like this works anymore. It seems to try and connect because there's a lag whilst it attempts a connection but I just keep getting errors from Windows like:

http://upload.forums.unraid.net/live/monthly_2023_12/image.png.da847a4771a9ec1c4fdaf23a579a2923.png

http://upload.forums.unraid.net/live/monthly_2023_12/image.png.3a9558ca91435738dfb5d6cf52d58fd9.png

Please someone, some help? Doesn't matter if I set to use an exit node or not. What could I be missing?

This seriously should be as simple as installing Tailscale on both devices, turning it on and then adding the share... That's meant to be the point of Tailscale.

EDIT: Could this be the issue? Something wrong with Unraid itself that changed during an update? 
 to work flawlessly. Just install on both machines and don't even need to set any extra settings. I could mount things no problem. After a few updates of Tailscale and Unraid it just stopped working.

As I said, this used

At this point @plantsandbinary I would stop using this and install the plugin instead.

This is really for special used cases using docker and private networks only now.

I would also try using ip addresses only to exclude dns issues in the first instance for troubleshooting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
On 12/11/2023 at 4:30 AM, plantsandbinary said:

Here is my setup:

this happened to me during unraid upgrade, it was not tailscale related --

i had to go into each SMB share and re-enable Export. They all worked after that.

image.thumb.png.b8ff22093455a108c444400c66abcc4b.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Wonka88 Not sure if you figured it out yet, but have you added "tailscale0" into your Unraid network settings?  From UnRaid:

• Go to Settings > Network Settings
  • Scroll down to the "Interface Extra" section
  • Enter "tailscale0" (without the quotes) in the "Include listening interfaces:" field
  • Then do a hard refresh (CMD + Shift + R on a Mac or CTRL + F5 on Windows) on your browser
Edited by techmoby43
didn't finish a step
  • Like 1

I wasn't aware that it is better to go with plugin version of tailscale, i have docker version installed few months now, and I can access my docker apps from my laptop (qbittorrent, sonarr, radarr and similar), using tailscale ip, but I have trouble accessing gui of unraid server.

The odd thing is that sometimes it works, sometimes it does not, I problem is that I am away from home for the next 30 days and need access, so is there anything I can do at this point to acces gui of unraid?

I am awre of the solution, but for the moment cant be on my local network.

Thank you in advance for any help possible.

Edited by caras
  • 2 weeks later...

I have tailscale set up using the plugin, thanks for this - it is great.

I can access my unraid gui fine when I am on the move. I am wondering if there is a way to somehow access docker containers by their name, e.g. http://portainer ? This would enable me to remove the cloudflare tunneling I have set up to access my applications at my domain, and instead just always access through TS. Cheers

I have tailscale set up using the plugin, thanks for this - it is great.

I can access my unraid gui fine when I am on the move. I am wondering if there is a way to somehow access docker containers by their name, e.g. http://portainer ? This would enable me to remove the cloudflare tunneling I have set up to access my applications at my domain, and instead just always access through TS. Cheers

This is the support thread for the docker container not the plugin.

I think you want to be here http:// https://forums.unraid.net/topic/136889-plugin-tailscale/
  • Thanks 1

I updated my Tailscale container yesterday, and after it was done, the container was not on my list of Docker containers. I tried adding it again, but it failed. Here is the command execution:

docker run
  -d
  --name='Tailscale'
  --net='host'
  --privileged=true
  -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles"
  -e HOST_OS="Unraid"
  -e HOST_HOSTNAME="M93p"
  -e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="Tailscale"
  -e 'UP_FLAGS'='--advertise-exit-node'
  -e 'ENABLE_DOWNLOADS'='TRUE'
  -l net.unraid.docker.managed=dockerman
  -l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://raw.githubusercontent.com/deasmi/unraid-tailscale/master/logo.png'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/tailscale':'/state':'rw'
  -v '':'/downloads':'rw'
  --cap-add=NET_ADMIN
  --hostname=unraid 'deasmi/unraid-tailscale:latest'

docker: invalid spec: :/downloads:rw: empty section between colons.
See 'docker run --help'.

Any ideas in what can I do to try to get it running again?

Thank you

13 hours ago, asnt said:

I updated my Tailscale container yesterday, and after it was done, the container was not on my list of Docker containers. I tried adding it again, but it failed. Here is the command execution:

docker run
  -d
  --name='Tailscale'
  --net='host'
  --privileged=true
  -e TZ="America/Los_Angeles"
  -e HOST_OS="Unraid"
  -e HOST_HOSTNAME="M93p"
  -e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="Tailscale"
  -e 'UP_FLAGS'='--advertise-exit-node'
  -e 'ENABLE_DOWNLOADS'='TRUE'
  -l net.unraid.docker.managed=dockerman
  -l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://raw.githubusercontent.com/deasmi/unraid-tailscale/master/logo.png'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/tailscale':'/state':'rw'
  -v '':'/downloads':'rw'
  --cap-add=NET_ADMIN
  --hostname=unraid 'deasmi/unraid-tailscale:latest'

docker: invalid spec: :/downloads:rw: empty section between colons.
See 'docker run --help'.

Any ideas in what can I do to try to get it running again?

Thank you

I had the same issue this today but I followed this link and it resolved my issue.

Thanks to Squid.

Hi, sorry for the noob question, but I am new to tailscale. My goal is to install tailscale and only make specific docker-containers accessible via tailscale, not all docker-containers nor the Unraid-server itself. Is this easily possible with this tailscale-docker or should I use the tailscale-plugin for it? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe someone else can use this too. :)

I have the Tailscale Docker running on Unraid (192.168.1.5).
On Unraid I also run Plex as Docker with its IP set to 192.168.1.6.

To access that Plex Docker through the Tailscale node simply add the following to the "UP-FLAGS" field in the Tailscale Docker.

--advertise-routes=192.168.1.6/32

Now u can access Plex by its IP 192.168.1.6 remotely through the Unraid Tailscale node. :) 

I also recommend to enable the advanced view on the Tailscale docker and then add to the Extra Parameters. 

--restart=unless-stopped

Edited by cholzer