Network Bonding

I have 1 onboard network port, and 2 on a 10gbit Broadcom card. Bonding was enabled on eth0. I disabled bonding "because I didn't think I needed it, and unraid lost network connectivity and said a cable was unplugged. So, reboot--no dice, set back to bonded -no dice, reboot - -no dice. deleted network.cfg and network-rules.cfg and all is back to normal. Except my connections are still bonded.

• 2 weeks later...

By default Unraid uses bonding of the interfaces.

If you want to use your 10G interface as main interface, you'll need to do two steps

1. Under network settings disable bonding

2. Under Interface Rules set your 10G interface as eth0

Because you are going to interrupt the connection, easiest way to do this, is with a locally attached monitor + keyboard/mouse and boot in GUI mode.

Edited by bonienl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much. Where I was going wrong was not picking the MAC address in the interface rules. I thought because I picked the mac address that my router showed in it's history that I was picking the right one. But the MAC address in the routers history was the MAC for the onboard lan that I have never plugged a cable into. So to recap, I turned bonding off, picked the right MAC address in interface rules and rebooted. I then had to re setup my reservation and port forwards in my router and all is good.

So the point of all of this was that I wanted to try out pfsense. With my current setup I could now right? Plug modem into onboard or other 10gbe port and switch stays plugged into current port?