Over 30 drives?

I'm curious what you fellow data hoarders with over 24 drives in one enclosure are doing?  I know we're somewhat limited but there is unassigned devices!?! 

edited for more clarity - for those with large HD what type of hardware are you using.  It used to be people were stuck w/ the 20/24 bay cases like me so what are you using to get up to the 30 drive limit?  I'm not sure a future 36-bay case is worth it or what other people are using.  LIke I'd love a 45 bay case but that seems like...overkill at this point.  

Edited by cbr600ds2

@cbr600ds2welcome, I can see you are new here. happy to have a new person asking these kinds of questions. you'l fit right in.

rather than continue this thread, I invite you to join an existing thread. You will likely have many advanced thoughts if you're asking such things. Try searching the forums, and you're likely to discover a wealth of information from those who have asked the same question years eariler.

On 4/7/2020 at 11:43 PM, Lev said:

@cbr600ds2welcome, I can see you are new here. happy to have a new person asking these kinds of questions. you'l fit right in.

rather than continue this thread, I invite you to join an existing thread. You will likely have many advanced thoughts if you're asking such things. Try searching the forums, and you're likely to discover a wealth of information from those who have asked the same question years eariler.

Hi Lev!   I've actually been using Unraid since 2011.   I understand the limitations of the super.dat file and all that.  I was just curious what people are using hardware wise. My norcotek is only 20 bay but it feels like over kill to get a 45 bay or even a 36 bay but I also want to get to the max amount of drives instead of just replacing good/still working drives in a 20 bay case.  *shrug*  I did see your post on that and that's an interesting "workaround".   You never thought of just saying like f-it and moving to freenas?  

7 hours ago, cbr600ds2 said:

You never thought of just saying like f-it and moving to freenas?

No. It doesn't fit my requirements.

I overcame the 30 drive limit, there's various methods. I use Unraid VMs within an Unraid Host and the mount the smb shares on the Unraid VMs with Unassigned Devices in my Unraid Host. It took some time to get used to. Rebooting the UInraid Host takes a lot of effort to make sure each Unraid VM's array is stopped and then each VM is powered down before the host.

10 hours ago, Lev said:

No. It doesn't fit my requirements.

I overcame the 30 drive limit, there's various methods. I use Unraid VMs within an Unraid Host and the mount the smb shares on the Unraid VMs with Unassigned Devices in my Unraid Host. It took some time to get used to. Rebooting the UInraid Host takes a lot of effort to make sure each Unraid VM's array is stopped and then each VM is powered down before the host.

What size case are you using?  

1 hour ago, cbr600ds2 said:

What size case are you using?  

I'm presently in my 3rd Generation of UnRAID server.

2017 to present - SuperMicro SC847 - 36 bays

1525200223_SuperMicroSC847.jpg.51232579075a240e7a8afba140e29a08.jpg

2014 to 2017 - Norco 4224 - 24 bays

739927428_Norco4224.jpg.da88277bbdddeda49d646a4f15537392.jpg

2011 to 2014 - Dell Inspiron  - I modded the case to hold 10 drives.

1125072232_DellDesktopmoddedHDmounts.thumb.jpg.4db786ab5d1cdf231e98232f4280f2fa.jpg

Future - In Test - BackBlaze Storage Pod v3 - 45 drives

Not sure if it'll be UnRAID. Right now I'm testing SnapRAID w/ MergerFS to overcome both the drive limit and move to a asynchronous parity sync to gain write speed direct to the data disks.

1154393623_BackblazeStoragePodv3.thumb.jpg.37f73a41e70c059f6577469650d8b21d.jpg

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old post but every one is talking about the SC847 and the 36 bays! 

And it has been on my list for a very long time (Hitting the max supported drives on Unraid)

But isn't it a big problem that all cards have to fit in the low-profile expansion slot? (Or is it full?)