recommendations for gigabit/10Gb network card?

aethyr

Recently upgraded my super old unraid v4.5 to v6, and everything is good...except

My onboard 1000Mb LAN isn't (perhaps never) working at Gb speeds. I've tried brand new cat7 cables on my brand new Gb switch and its stuck at 100Mb transfer speeds and ethtool is showing it advertised as Gb but actual is 100Mb.

Amazon shows a variety of cheap no-name Gb ethernet cards, but I'm kind of doubtful that these cards will work with unraid. Any recommendations for cheap Gb cards?

Edited by aethyr
  • 3 months later...
On 7/13/2020 at 2:04 AM, James_Darkness said:

For me it's doing great. I don't know what else to say about them 

Are you using these in a Dell server or another build? Do you know if they work in non-Dell machines? I'm about the pull the trigger on a pair of them for an X399 machine. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, DigitalGoddess said:

You really want to use 6a or 7 and not the plain 6 if you really want it to perform. 

..Don't get confused by what is used for different standards with "compatible" naming schemes.

CAT7 is the actual cable standard, whilst CAT6A is the standard for connectors & plugs, for 10G over a RJ45 link.

A CAT7 plug/socket is *not* RJ45.

FWIW, I do run a sustainable 10G link over approx 18meters of cat5e cabling between my Rack and home-office upstairs, by means of a SFP+ port on either switche, sporting a Mikrotk S-RJ10 tranceiver.

1 hour ago, DigitalGoddess said:

You also need to be sensitive to the length of the run as longer distances can heat up.   

It's going to heat up anyway, as the current chipsets for 10G-T over RJ45 are far less efficient than current 1Gbps chips.

In comparison, these are still medieval times for RJ45 on 10G-T...for Servers and shorter connections, SFP+ with a DAC is the way to go.

As datacenters are upgrading to 100G, the 10G & 40G gear, including switches are getting cheaper and become commodites....and with SFP+ (DAC + Fiber) these do not need active cooling that way.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I am hitting this topic BECAUSE several people here have Dell HN10N cards and have reported good results.

I actually happen to be using other dell hardware, but that is irrelevant.

Dell Optiplex 7010 (Windows 10) to a Dell Precision T7500 (UnRAID) over the HN10N cards...

believing I had everything configured properly with the 1gb nics connected to my switch in the 192.168.111.0/24 subnet and the 10gbs directly connected using the 192.168.112.0/24 subnet.

I am averaging in the 110MB/s no matter which ip I transfer files over, and things I have changed in windows trying to simplify it down (like going bare bones with just Client for MS Networks/file & printer sharing/ip4 protocol only) made things worse, not better. I have pulled the plug completely from the 1GB line just to make sure it was using the right wire... and actually replaced the 10GB cat7 cable too... that seemed like it could have been it... it was not.

Really, I thought it was Windows trying to use bonding or bridging to something to "help" but it's just not making any sense at this point.

SO, can anyone suggest and troubleshooting techniques to "see" what is going on? In both UnRAID and Windows, the connections are "reporting" at 10GB, and I am reading from SSD to SSDs... so I expected to get better than the exact same throughput I was getting over 1GB... (max 120MB/s but average 110-ish... and heck 72 to my un-cached media share)

And here is what I am getting to the to ip's from iperf...

iperf.PNG.943e5465cb76b3f6553aa30fc854fb09.PNG

Any and all insight/help would be appreciated, and if there is somewhere else I should look or post please advise!

TIA

-g

Edited by Garbonzo
added image
11 hours ago, Garbonzo said:

Ok, I am hitting this topic BECAUSE several people here have Dell HN10N cards and have reported good results.

I actually happen to be using other dell hardware, but that is irrelevant.

Dell Optiplex 7010 (Windows 10) to a Dell Precision T7500 (UnRAID) over the HN10N cards...

believing I had everything configured properly with the 1gb nics connected to my switch in the 192.168.111.0/24 subnet and the 10gbs directly connected using the 192.168.112.0/24 subnet.

I am averaging in the 110MB/s no matter which ip I transfer files over, and things I have changed in windows trying to simplify it down (like going bare bones with just Client for MS Networks/file & printer sharing/ip4 protocol only) made things worse, not better. I have pulled the plug completely from the 1GB line just to make sure it was using the right wire... and actually replaced the 10GB cat7 cable too... that seemed like it could have been it... it was not.

Really, I thought it was Windows trying to use bonding or bridging to something to "help" but it's just not making any sense at this point.

SO, can anyone suggest and troubleshooting techniques to "see" what is going on? In both UnRAID and Windows, the connections are "reporting" at 10GB, and I am reading from SSD to SSDs... so I expected to get better than the exact same throughput I was getting over 1GB... (max 120MB/s but average 110-ish... and heck 72 to my un-cached media share)

And here is what I am getting to the to ip's from iperf...

Any and all insight/help would be appreciated, and if there is somewhere else I should look or post please advise!

TIA

-g

Iperf3 indicate NIC perform reach 3.7Gbps on 192.168.112.0/24, how about same test in reverse direction by "-R".

BTW, not likely NIC / network issue.

Thanks for the response (I had already typed this yesterday, but wanted to make a couple additions before I posted, and then lost the tab)
Anyway, that -R is interesting... I had overlooked that, and when I tried to make the windows run in -s mode and the -c from unraid I kept getting this : iperf3: error - unable to send control message: Bad file descriptor

So the -R switch let me see that I am getting between 15-50 re-transmissions when going that direction.  I am not sure if that is real or if the windows ver 3.1.3 just doesn't have that info and the ver 3.9 on unraid does (II haven't googled it yet) 

Anyway, in my other (lost) post, I mentioned that I wouldn't be able to move the card from my windows pc to another machine OR boot to a linux usb until this weekend, but I think I can take things down and do it overnight tonight (wed/thr). So hopefully some file copies from that will tell me a little more, I will plug another ssd in as well to perform the copies from...

So if you have any other tips for testing things they are VERY welcome!

Thanks again!

-G

• 11 months later...

Hi I see this an older post but was hoping to get some input. I have a Supermicro X11SPM-F and installed a Dell HN10N Broadcom 57810S Dual Port 10GBASE-T Network Adapter but when plugged into it it wont pick up an ip address system doesn't seem to recognize it is there a setting I'm missing.

lou

3 hours ago, Lou said:

Hi I see this an older post but was hoping to get some input. I have a Supermicro X11SPM-F and installed a Dell HN10N Broadcom 57810S Dual Port 10GBASE-T Network Adapter but when plugged into it it wont pick up an ip address system doesn't seem to recognize it is there a setting I'm missing.

lou

it should show all your Ethernet adapters in : Settings > Network settings

Hi thanks it does show up under interface Rules as eth2 and 3. can you tell me if they are backward compatible to a 2.5 or are they just 1 GB and 10GB.  my PC for now has a 2.5GB card in it I'm going to up it to a 10gb card soon. Also should it not be able to pick up an IP address? no matter if i shut the onboard nics off or on the 10GB card dose not pick up an IP address on boot up in Unraid.

Thanks

Lou

Edited by Lou
Solved