VM to share virtio throughput... what am I missing?

Hi All.

As a rather new Unraid user, I've come across what most of you have already solved. Seems that when using virtio to mount an unraid share in a guest vm that the throughput is rather limited (20-30MB/s). If mounted via CIFS or NFS, the throughput is only limited by the cache/disk being written to. Is this correct? Is there something else that can be tweaked to improve virtio? Some of my shares are specific to the VMs and it feels a little hoky to share them by NFS/CIFS where another machine on the network could potentially gain access whereas virtio is exclusive to the unraid host. So, as it says in the title, what am I missing?

Thanks!

9p performance (i.e. mounting a share through virtio) is terrible and it has been like that for quite some time.

Theoretically it is possible to tune it to make it better but that has never been proven in practice.

And no, there is nothing wrong at all to have share specific to a VM (or multiple VM's) being accessed through SMB / NFS.

That's the whole point of Unraid user control.

Maybe that's what you're missing?

4 minutes ago, testdasi said:

9p performance (i.e. mounting a share through virtio) is terrible and it has been like that for quite some time.

Theoretically it is possible to tune it to make it better but that has never been proven in practice.

And no, there is nothing wrong at all to have share specific to a VM (or multiple VM's) being accessed through SMB / NFS.

That's the whole point of Unraid user control.

Maybe that's what you're missing?

Thanks for the 9p confirmation. Must be common knowledge to most as I hardly found it talked about. I do have my NFS shares currently set to private. I was wondering if there was something I could add to the rules that would limit the share to inside the unraid server and not be offered externally.