How can I tell the current installed version of a docker?

Is there a way to tell what version of a particular docker I currently have installed?  Right now all I can do is restart it and look through the logs while it comes back up.  It would be nice to be able to get this info from the GUI.  Or is there already a way I don't know about?  Thanks.

17 minutes ago, servidude said:

Is there a way to tell what version of a particular docker I currently have installed?  Right now all I can do is restart it and look through the logs while it comes back up.  It would be nice to be able to get this info from the GUI.  Or is there already a way I don't know about?  Thanks.

What are you looking for?  The version of the app installed in the container, or the version of the container?

31 minutes ago, Squid said:

What are you looking for?  The version of the app installed in the container, or the version of the container?

The version of the container, i.e. the same version I would add to a docker pull command.

Asking since I want to know which version to reinstall if my update breaks things.  Thanks!

According to the docker run command, you're supposed to be able to do it via specifying a digest for the container instead of a tag.  I couldn't however get it to work to reinstall a container via it's digest

But, if you're actually worried about it in the first place, then I'd suggest that you don't use :latest as a tag in the first place and tag everything with a specific version.  Alternatively, you can see when the container was created on the docker tab, and then take a fairly good guess as to which tag corresponds to that date and use it if you need to roll back.  I've never had an issue with any container ever updating.  Mind you, I refuse to use Plex since most of their updates to the program is completely broken in the first place.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 years later...