GPU Passthrough stops windows vm from starting

Hello all,

I have got a very weird problem with my Windows VM (I haven't tried with linux or macos).

I installed a copy of Windows 10 pro with VNC. Afterwards I added a discrete GPU to the VM like so:

image.thumb.png.c8b8c29052e0f0786b7aea4a651ca2c4.png

All works and its great, but when I remove the VNC and use only the GPU, I can't connect to the VM through RDP or teamviewer anymore. I can't even ping it.

I tried connecting a monitor to the GPU but all I get is a black screen.

I have tried with other gpu's but it is all the same. I don't mind leaving the VNC installed but I read somewhere it would be better to remove it and also in windows it shows a exclamation mark in device manager.

image.thumb.png.16639b0fd2917e6e60745f432ef4a2c6.png

So my question is, should I just leave it with VNC enabled and it doesn't affect performance or is there a way to fix it?

EDIT2: I tried some programs and games that (should) use the GPU but it doesn't seem to want to work so I definitely want to fix this.

A bit more info about my system:

Motherboard: Asus Z10PA-D8

GPU: MSI GTX 1080

VM OS: W10 Pro

NIC: onboard dual 1gb bonded + asus XG-C100C

Log from the VM:  https://pastebin.com/geMsqsmB

Looks like it is hanging at vfio_dma_map with bad address, does anyone know what that means?

unraidserver-diagnostics-20200411-2310.zip

Edited by Inenting
Updated info

I gave up on this...

I managed to get it working by doing one of the following(I'm not sure which one helped): 

- Set bios to "SeaBios"

- Set Machine to Q35

- Installed with only VNC first and afterward remove VNC and added GPU and installed drivers with teamviewer

- Did not install Virtio video drivers

- Bios update had reset my GPU settings so I put that back as well (Unraid igpu only)

However in device manager it kept showing up with the yellow exclamation mark and games/tensorflow/boinc couldn't use GPU. So I just decided to put it in my gaming pc and live with the heat.

I have also ordered a HDMI dummy plug to check if that might fix it but I don't know when it'll arrive and when i'll want to test it again.

Edited by Inenting