Nvme Passthrough - Freezing after reboot

I followed Spaceinvader's tutorial on using an nvme device - it works on first boot. When i shut down then turn the VM back on the whole system hangs and i have to hard reset. 
I tried switching unsafe interrupts back and forth, both lead to the same issue.

**Without adjusting any of my text above in case i'm just going crazy - It seems like it added the second address on it's own with slot=0x08 - I'm sure i didn't add it since i copied the blank host dev directly and just changed the bus to 3. 

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>

Could i possibly solve this whole situation by changing the SECOND address bus to 3 as well? remove it? I just don't really want to have any more unsafe shutdowns and lose my data again.. :/
image.thumb.png.5a29c6bf08f2077735104afbd3fcbc54.pngimage.thumb.png.99c6e1ce62e77ee73cabdd27528171ec.png

thanks folks :)

tower-diagnostics-20200411-2044.zip

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2020 at 8:56 PM, jonfive said:

I followed Spaceinvader's tutorial on using an nvme device - it works on first boot. When i shut down then turn the VM back on the whole system hangs and i have to hard reset. 
I tried switching unsafe interrupts back and forth, both lead to the same issue.

**Without adjusting any of my text above in case i'm just going crazy - It seems like it added the second address on it's own with slot=0x08 - I'm sure i didn't add it since i copied the blank host dev directly and just changed the bus to 3. 

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
    </hostdev>

Could i possibly solve this whole situation by changing the SECOND address bus to 3 as well? remove it? I just don't really want to have any more unsafe shutdowns and lose my data again.. :/
image.thumb.png.5a29c6bf08f2077735104afbd3fcbc54.pngimage.thumb.png.99c6e1ce62e77ee73cabdd27528171ec.png

thanks folks :)

tower-diagnostics-20200411-2044.zip

Did you ever find a solution for this? I am having a similar issue.

• 4 months later...

I am facing the same issue. I recently upgraded from H470 to Z490, and not sure if it is a motherboard issue, but I cannot even install Windows anymore to the NVME drive. The entire system just freezes!

Other OS (Ubuntu) and installing Windows in the array/cache works fine.

Edited by light2089
  • 1 month later...

Don't you hate when you finally find the thread with your exact issue and it just ends without a solution?

I have a Windows 10 VM with GPU passthrough that shuts down cleanly no problem.  However the Windows 10 VM that has GPU passthrough AND nvme passthrough crashes unraid.  I can still do a graceful powerdown from the command line, because despite running headless unraid still accepts keyboard input so type "root / password / powerdown" will shutdown the system without having to do a hard reset.  However it would be nice to figure out what about nvme passthrough is causing it to crash unraid when you shutdown the VM.