Loud PSU fan when HDDs went to sleep

ldrax

I noticed a strange behaviour of my PSU (Silverstone Stridec 1200W Platinum ST1200). The PSU is installed with its fan facing downwards, taking air from the bottom of the case (Corsair 760T has the intake honeycomb with filter at this bottom position).

For a long time I always had the HDDs spindown delay to 'Never', i.e. disabled it. Recently I enabled it. When those disks stay spun down, the PSU would periodically ramp up its fan speed for about 10-20 seconds before it goes quiet again. When I spun the HDDs up again, the PSU is quiet all the way again.

This is rather strange, as spun-down HDDs would lower the overall case temperature. The only explanation I can think of is that the PSU 'compares' its internal temperature with interior case temperature, and if it thinks it's too hot relative to the case temperature, it will ramp up its fan's speed.

Does anyone notice similar behaviour? Any idea what can I do?

It should be PSU design problem, when FAN "wakeup" form 0 rpm ( loading less then 120w ).

https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/aris-bitziopoulos/silverstone-silverstone-strider-titanium-1100w-psu-review/4/

During test #6 the cooling fan suddenly gets crazy and doubles its speed with the acoustics noise reaching 46 dB(A), which is very loud.

Edited by Benson