Parity question: Changing from Reiserfs to XFS

So i am getting alot of SHFS high cpu usages when scanning my media with sonarr/radarr etc. Based of my research it appear this can happen if your using a old Reiserfs drive (which i have one drive left with that the rest are XFS).

I am currently moving my data to another XFS drive. Then I will stop the array, change the old now empty drive to XFS, mount format and boom. The question is what happens to the parity?

Will unraid force a new parity check or am I good to go? The reason I ask is because this will be a much faster copy if i disable the parity (if unraid is just going to force a parity check anyway) but i also want to avoid another 18 hour parity check. Hopefully that question makes sense.

12 minutes ago, pyrater said:

I am currently moving my data to another XFS drive. Then I will stop the array, change the old now empty drive to XFS, mount format and boom. The question is what happens to the parity?

Nothing happens with parity, besides that it is updated to reflect the new bits.

Parity doesn't store files. It has no concept of file systems or anything. It simply holds the answer to the question, is the specific bit on the missing drive supposed to be a 1 or a 0.

Parity will happily emulate a corrupt file system, it will follow along when you reformat to a different file system, encrypted, whatever.

• Like 1