Licence Clarification + 1 technical Q please

Just a few questions I want to absolutely verify before purchase:
Is a lifetime (forever) license?  YES

Can be transferred to different machines?

Can upgrade at a prorated price later?  YES

Is it ok to sell hosting for things like minecraft server, websites, etc using this?

Last odd question is more technical is there any kind of function to use multiple machines and build VMs across them kind of like proxmox? 

Edit: removed link it was the wrong one
Edit 2: Answers

Edited by SpencerH

Ok I read it again. Answers at least 2 of my questions clearly.

How easy is it to transfer from machine to machine? Does a licences cover only 1 running machine at a time?

Reason I ask I was thinking about giving it a shot on a laptop that I will get rid of soon using the trial if I like unraid as much as I think I will then I will build something with a little more power and room for growth. Question being: how easy is it going to be to transfer stuff from trial machine to "new" machine if I decide to go that route?

Also how much overhead does unraid have? - (I know this depends, but for instance I will run a Minecraft server on Linux. What kind of general loss in CPU and memory will go to overhead of unraid before it comes to running this server?

47 minutes ago, SpencerH said:

How easy is it to transfer from machine to machine? Does a licences cover only 1 running machine at a time?

You can only run unRAID on one machine at a time with a single license, but, the license is associated with the USB flash drive, so, you can plug it into any other machine (or completely replace the key hardware such as MB/CPU/RAM, etc.) and the license still works for that machine.  The USB flash drive holds the unRAID configuration information, so, if you put it in a completely different machine with different disks, you will need to create a new array configuration; however, the license is still valid.

47 minutes ago, SpencerH said:

Also how much overhead does unraid have?

UnRAID itself loads from the USB flash drive and runs completely in RAM.  It does not take much RAM to speak of but if you are running Docker containers, VMs, etc., of course they are going to consume much more.

If all you are using unRAID for is a NAS, its hardware requirements are very minimal; a dual-processor CPU and 4GB RAM (in the early days, 2GB or even less was plenty and some still run the current version with just 2GB RAM).  Anything above that is going to be available for other uses.

Passmark scores are often used to compare the relative processing power between CPUs.  For example, I have a Xeon E-2288G CPU in my main server.  Its passmark score is ~17,000. The general recommendation is to have 2000 passmarks for unRAID overhead.  Less than 1/8 of my processor power is needed for unRAID overhead.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1