Ryzen Questions

subterminal

Hello all,

I'm going for my first UnRAID build and have a few questions. I want low power and ECC RAM, so Ryzen makes sense to me. However, I've been reading that Ryzen support seems like an evolving thing. So, before I pull the trigger on a buy, I have a few questions...

My use case:

• NAS - main use
    • NextCloud file server for home and remote
    • Media storage for PleX
    • Backup site for home machines
  • PleX (1 stream @ 1080p)
    • Sonarr/Radarr/Jackett in dockers
  • VMs
    • Windows Server 2016 for AD and RADIUS
    • Ubuntu Server for DUO Auth Proxy
    • Windows 10 for Blue Iris

I would like to ideally use a Ryzen 5 3600g and rely on the APU for plex transcoding instead of adding in a GPU. Will UnRAID support this?

Can anyone recommend a 3rd Gen Ryzen motherboard that works well?

And does anyone have feedback on Plink server chassis? I'm currently eyeing up this one.

Thanks!

Hey there, Ryzen 3600 doesn't have integrated graphics, So it not an APU it's just a CPU.  Only the 200GE, Ryzen - 3000G, 2200G, 2400G, 3200G and 3400G are APU's. You can still do CPU trans-coding and if your sticking to 1080P and under, on a single stream you'll be fine. Providing your dockers and VM's arnt hogging all your resources. 

You will still need a video card at least for your initial UnRaid configuration and you will need a video card for your VM's unless you run them headless (don't quote me on that one) i think this might be based on your requirements for the VM.

Personally i went with a Ryzen 1600AF and i too had my concerns with AMD and UnRaid. But it looks like they have come along way. I haven't been plagued by any of the older issues that were present. Make sure you do your research with Ram speeds and Rank for motherboard and CPU compatibility. There a lot of good articles buried on here with helpful tips on these selections.

i went with a B450 chipset on my motherboard, if i had my pick again i would have gone for an x470 / x570 for extra Pci-e lanes. Again you'll need to check for CPU / EEC memory compatibility, speed rank etc.

**Edit** just to clarify, some motherboards Will require a GPU to boot with Ryzen CPU's - YMMV

Edited by MegaHurtz