Best way to genereate fault on unraid?

perhansen

Hi there

Is there a good way to generate read fault, filesystem fault etc. on unraid. 

You may be wondering why I want to do it and why I bother to spend time on it.

I have been running unraid for the last 6 years now, and never had any major break down, emulated disk, or failing disk. Yes i have swapped disks and changed disks around, but never because of a failure. I have multiply disks laying around going from 100GB to 2TB, that i am not using. Some of them are going in my test-server now. I wont to test some unraid failure handling, just for my own sake, i know there is some great wiki pages about all of this, but that just isn't the same as you have done the procedures by hand. Its better to test now in a controlled environment, before my critical system breaks down, and you are stressing because of possible data loss.

Also, all my main disks are encrypted, so i wont to mount one of those with unassigned disk or maybe my main linux rig, just to see the behavior of those procedures. 

So is there a way to generate fault that will put unraid in emulated state or filesystem error or whatever faults that can be generated. I dont mind pulling sata cables while there is power on, but that cant be all. 

To disable a disk you can use:

echo 1 > /sys/block/sdX/device/delete

It might not get disabled by Unraid until it tries to access it.

Causing filesystem corruption it's not so easy, disk getting disabled can sometimes cause it, especially if there was still unflushed data, unclean shutdowns in general can also do it.

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

To disable a disk you can use:

echo 1 > /sys/block/sdX/device/delete

It might not get disabled by Unraid until it tries to access it.

Causing filesystem corruption it's not so easy, disk getting disabled can sometimes cause it, especially if there was still unflushed data, unclean shutdowns in general can also do it.

Thanks man. I was hoping you would respond on this.

I will try different methods with your command. Disable while copying data or accessing it at the same time. Unclean shutdown while copying data etc.