Moving from Netgear NAS to UNRAID server

chris111486

I have been using a netgear RN204. I just setup another computer to be able to pull all data off. I took the 4 5tb drives from NAS and put them into my unraid server.  I forgot to format and clear the drives before putting them into unraid server.  Once drives were installed and powered up it only shows each drive is about 2.2tb each. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

2 minutes ago, chris111486 said:

I have been using a netgear RN204. I just setup another computer to be able to pull all data off. I took the 4 5tb drives from NAS and put them into my unraid server.  I forgot to format and clear the drives before putting them into unraid server.  Once drives were installed and powered up it only shows each drive is about 2.2tb each. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Post diagnostics (Tools--->Diagnostics) in your next post so the experts can see your hardware and unRAID configuration.

14 minutes ago, chris111486 said:

the same issue appeared again and the 10tb shows as 2.2tb as well

Your Dell server (T410?)  has the following controller:

05:00.0 SCSI storage controller [0100]: Broadcom / LSI SAS1068E PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS [1000:0058] (rev 08)
    Subsystem: Dell SAS 6/iR Adapter RAID Controller [1028:1f0e]
    Kernel driver in use: mptsas
    Kernel modules: mptsas

It is only capable of supporting HDDs up to 2TB in size.  Anything larger will be recognized as a 2TB drive.

Here is a post from the Dell forums regarding the T410 and this controller:

"The PERC6 cannot address drives above 2TB. When you connect a drive larger than 2TB there are several possible outcomes. The drive may work but only show as 2TB, may be detected and partially functional, may be detected and not functional, or may not be detected at all. The drive showing in a failed state may be the result of compatibility issues or may be a fault with the drive."

You will need a PCIe controller that supports hard drives larger than 2TB.  You also need to make sure it can be cross-flashed with IT mode firmware as unRAID does not support drives attaches to RAID controllers in RAID mode.  Personally, I use the Dell H310 cross-flashed to IT mode.

4 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Your Dell server (T410?)  has the following controller:

05:00.0 SCSI storage controller [0100]: Broadcom / LSI SAS1068E PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS [1000:0058] (rev 08)
    Subsystem: Dell SAS 6/iR Adapter RAID Controller [1028:1f0e]
    Kernel driver in use: mptsas
    Kernel modules: mptsas

It is only capable of supporting HDDs up to 2TB in size.  Anything larger will be recognized as a 2TB drive.

Here is a post from the Dell forums regarding the T410 and this controller:

"The PERC6 cannot address drives above 2TB. When you connect a drive larger than 2TB there are several possible outcomes. The drive may work but only show as 2TB, may be detected and partially functional, may be detected and not functional, or may not be detected at all. The drive showing in a failed state may be the result of compatibility issues or may be a fault with the drive."

You will need a PCIe controller that supports hard drives larger than 2TB.  You also need to make sure it can be cross-flashed with IT mode firmware as unRAID does not support drives attaches to RAID controllers in RAID mode.  Personally, I use the Dell H310 cross-flashed to IT mode.

thanks.  i do also have a powered r230 as well.  i guess i could just use that and then get a data vault for expanding once i need to and maybe repurpose this for something else.