Network Share Issue - Backups

Mason736

I'm having an issue, and not sure how to resolve it.  I recently bought a new Hyper-V server, and wanted to use my Unraid server as a backup location for the Hyper-V backups.  I created an SMB share on the Unraid server, and initially setup Windows Server Backup to perform a Bare Metal Recovery backup, as well as full backup of my Hyper-V VMs.  When I ran an initial test after I created the backup job, it succeed.  That night it succeeded as well.

However, since the success the first night, it has failed every night with a network error.  I switched to the community edition of Veeam, as I thought maybe the issue was Windows Server Backup.  I set the backup repository to my SMB share on the Unraid server.  Same thing occurred last night, the backup failed with errors of: "Processing VM Error: An unexpected network error occurred.....".  Actual error from on of the VMs, they are all the same:  

4/15/2020 4:20:42 AM :: Processing SophosXG2 Error: An unexpected network error occurred.
Failed to flush file buffers. File: [\\192.168.1.125\Windows Server Backup\Veeam\Main VM Job\Main VM JobD2020-04-15T030038_6197.vbk].
Failed to download disk 'SophosXG2_old.vhdx'.
Shared memory connection was closed.
Failed to upload disk.
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

Could it be because the drives are spun down, and not initially available?  However I don't think that is the case, as when I tested why the Windows Server Backup would fail, it would fail as it was over 100GB into the backup.

Forgot to mention, I have the Share on Unraid set to not use the Cache, (no), and write directly to the array.  I didn't want to waste SSD writes on the backup of VMs.  

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Mason736
  • 3 weeks later...

Did you figure anything out? I'm backing up a number of servers to unRAID via Veeam. My VMware jobs seem to run fine, but the VMs are not big individually. We have a couple physical boxes that are bigger and they have the same errors on some of the jobs. My biggest server has yet to complete successfully with that error AFTER backing up 1.8TB. I'm schedule with Veeam support, but I'm not sure how far they will get with unRAID.

I found the link below talking about extending the timeout on samba... not sure if it's possible with unRAID though? 

https://darkimmortal.com/veeam-backups-failing-with-network-errors/

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 10:58 AM, juttej said:

Did you figure anything out? I'm backing up a number of servers to unRAID via Veeam. My VMware jobs seem to run fine, but the VMs are not big individually. We have a couple physical boxes that are bigger and they have the same errors on some of the jobs. My biggest server has yet to complete successfully with that error AFTER backing up 1.8TB. I'm schedule with Veeam support, but I'm not sure how far they will get with unRAID.

I found the link below talking about extending the timeout on samba... not sure if it's possible with unRAID though? 

https://darkimmortal.com/veeam-backups-failing-with-network-errors/

It has been working fine for me.  Not sure why it failed that initial time, but VEEAM has been working flawlessly since then.