[Solved] W10 VM 1080 passthrough not able to us DP, GSync and capped on 60hz

I just started playing with VM's.

Recently switched my server to my main rig:

Aorus Gaming 7 mobo

16gig 3200 ram

GTX 1080

Asus ROG Swift PG278QR screen

Now I have gotten my VM up and running with the 1080 passed through with the help of the following guide and writer, https://forums.serverbuilds.net/t/guide-remote-gaming-on-unraid/4248/6

It's all working good except for:

-Not able to use the VM with a DP cable

-Hdmi is locked to 60hz (screen can run 165hz)

-Can not enable GSync as it is not available in the NVIDIA control panel. 

Any tips what I can try to get it fixed? 

Cheers

Edit: so after fixing the Bios, I

unplugged the power from the screen which fixed the problem. 

Unplugging the monitor was 1 of the Frist thing I did, but I unplugged the power from the power plug and not from screen. 

tower-diagnostics-20200415-2228.zip

Edited by Han1

@Han1 Where do you got that ROM file from for the GPU? Dumped it on your own or downloaded? If it's the wrong BIOS it could be the reason why not all functions from the card are available to you. Double check the BIOS is for your card. Often there are multiple revisions of GPUs available and therefor different BIOSes available.

2 hours ago, bastl said:

@Han1 Where do you got that ROM file from for the GPU? Dumped it on your own or downloaded? If it's the wrong BIOS it could be the reason why not all functions from the card are available to you. Double check the BIOS is for your card. Often there are multiple revisions of GPUs available and therefor different BIOSes available.

I dumped my own, i double checked it on techpowerup which was the correct. Is it worth to try the same or an older version from techpowerup? 

16 hours ago, Han1 said:

would it be possible to put the PGU in another PCIE slot?

Worth a try.

Is your Intel GPU enabled and set to primary GPU? If not enable it and set it as primary in the BIOS so Unraid itself uses it. In case unraid picks up your 1080 as primary all the time, put it down in another slot and use another GPU in the first slot. In my case 1080ti in first slot and 1050ti in third slot are both able to passthrough. If I switch them only the 1080ti in third slot as working. Remember I'am on AMD TR4 and have no GPU onboard or in the CPU itself.

Using another slot may change your IOMMU groupings and also the IDs might change. Check if using another slot may throw the card in a group with other devices. Also keep in mind, often the lower slots are shared with other devices like USB or Sata controllers.

1 hour ago, bastl said:

Worth a try.

Is your Intel GPU enabled and set to primary GPU? If not enable it and set it as primary in the BIOS so Unraid itself uses it. In case unraid picks up your 1080 as primary all the time, put it down in another slot and use another GPU in the first slot. In my case 1080ti in first slot and 1050ti in third slot are both able to passthrough. If I switch them only the 1080ti in third slot as working. Remember I'am on AMD TR4 and have no GPU onboard or in the CPU itself.

Using another slot may change your IOMMU groupings and also the IDs might change. Check if using another slot may throw the card in a group with other devices. Also keep in mind, often the lower slots are shared with other devices like USB or Sata controllers.

Got it fixed! It was a fairly simple fix! Found a working vbios and unplugged the screen from power. I'll definitely keeps these tips for possible future troubleshooting if needed! 

• Like 1