[Help Needed] Some doubts i have about unraid

Hi all!

This is my first Post! I am a noob and don´t know anything about unraid.

So i just build this low budget system:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600

Gigabyte B450 AORUS M

32 GB Corsair DDR-4 2667 memory

SSD Samsung EVO 860 500 GB

GPU NVIDIA Gigabyte 1050 Ti (4 GB DDR-5)

Now the machine is running W10 but i want to migrate to unraid because of parity and also the idea to have "just 01 disk" with all my data.

This machine is only a PLEX server. I have total of 6 disks with total 20 TB... I know i will give away of 01 disk for parity.  I will use EVO 860 for cache.

Here my doubts:

1) I am behind a CGNAT so i am forced to use a VPN to get a valid IPV4 address and be able to access plex from outside my network. At this moment i use torguard VPN service and i am fully satisfied with them... but my question is: Can i still use torguard as my VPN provider or should i change to another service? I see one post saying about AirVPN?

2) is there a docker for torguard? On their site they have a linux version of app can i install in unraid?

3) How do i setup unraid to connect thru VPN so port 32400 can be reached for remote use plex.

4) Does unraid will use my nvidia 1050 Ti to HW transcoding if i tick this option in plex or do i have to do any tweak to get this working?

Thanks in advance :)

Braz.

Edited by BrazMan
mispelling

Welcome @BrazMan!

1. Not having used torguard myself I can't say for sure, but I suspect you can keep using torguard VPN but exactly how it's done will depend on how you decide to run Plex.  Will it be in a Docker container or a VM (running Linux or Windows 10)?

2. I see ToGruard Docker containers at DockerHub so it's likely there is one for Unraid, but I haven't checked yet.

3. See answer #1 (how to set up remote Plex access will depend on whether Plex is running in a Docker or VM but consider watching Spaceinvader One's excellent video on containers and VPNs).

4. See #1 (setting up direct GPU use depends on if Plex is running in Docker or a VM).

Probably the "easiest" for you to relate to would be to put Windows 10 in a VM passing your video card through for direct VM use, then just do everything the same way you have been.  However, that would not necessarily be taking the most advantage of using Unraid.  To do that you might want to consider running Plex in a Docker. 

Edited by JonMikelV
Add video link
  • Like 1

Thank you! JonMikelV and James_Darkness

2. I see ToGruard Docker containers at DockerHub so it's likely there is one for Unraid, but I haven't checked yet.

Ok i will check this

10 hours ago, JonMikelV said:

Probably the "easiest" for you to relate to would be to put Windows 10 in a VM passing your video card through for direct VM use, then just do everything the same way you have been.  However, that would not necessarily be taking the most advantage of using Unraid.  To do that you might wan

10 hours ago, JonMikelV said:

3. See answer #1 (how to set up remote Plex access will depend on whether Plex is running in a Docker or VM but consider watching Spaceinvader One's excellent video on containers and VPNs).

t to consider running Plex in a Docker. 

Can´t really understand? Plex will be running inside VM W10? Also THX for the link!

9 hours ago, James_Darkness said:

Why not just get a raid card and run raid 6 on windows 10

Do you have any recommendation? I live in Brazil so this kind of thing is not so easy to buy... but i can check  on e-bay.

Thank you for all help!

Braz.

37 minutes ago, James_Darkness said:

sorry personally i don't. i've never done a raid other than on software. i would just youtube it a little and on ebay any raid card should do as long as it's not just a HAB card and can actually process the raid 

Ok! THX i will have a look

Braz.

Installing Unraid would replace Win 10.

If you don't need Win 10 functionality you could run Plex in Docket container in Unraid.  This is likely the most effective way to do it.

If you still want Win 10 on the box then you'd have to create A VM and install Windows in that VM.  At that point you could run Plex in the Win 10 VM instead of (or in addition to) an Unraid Docker container.

If using a VM then performance will vary depending on what physical hardware you pass through (dedicate) to the VM.  For example, a default VM see a generic video card which means if you wanted something running in the VM to use you the GPU on your physical video card you would have to pass it through to the VM.

Does that answer your questions or did I make things worse?  :-)

On 4/17/2020 at 1:19 AM, JonMikelV said:

Installing Unraid would replace Win 10.

If you don't need Win 10 functionality you could run Plex in Docket container in Unraid.  This is likely the most effective way to do it.

If you still want Win 10 on the box then you'd have to create A VM and install Windows in that VM.  At that point you could run Plex in the Win 10 VM instead of (or in addition to) an Unraid Docker container.

If using a VM then performance will vary depending on what physical hardware you pass through (dedicate) to the VM.  For example, a default VM see a generic video card which means if you wanted something running in the VM to use you the GPU on your physical video card you would have to pass it through to the VM.

Does that answer your questions or did I make things worse?  🙂

Thank you for your help!

This will be a dedicated Plex server. I don´t really need windows. The reasons i wanna migrate to unraid are: Parity and the possibility to create just 01 big disk... i am currenty with 06 disks with total of 20 TB.

Don´t know yet if it´s a good idea because i really don´t know anything about linux or unraid... so i will have to start everything from scratch. My fear is that i will not able handle all my "problems" to have this server running 100 % online as it is now.  

For me it´s really hard to decide what to do.

THX,

Braz.

21 minutes ago, BrazMan said:

the possibility to create just 01 big disk...

That's only sort of accurate. Each disk in the parity protected array has its own file system, and any given file can only reside on a single disk. However, the user share directory tree will show you a single view that has all the files in identically named folders together, so it looks like just one volume. Because files can't span disks, each individual file can't be larger than the free space on any individual disk.

32 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

That's only sort of accurate. Each disk in the parity protected array has its own file system, and any given file can only reside on a single disk. However, the user share directory tree will show you a single view that has all the files in identically named folders together, so it looks like just one volume. Because files can't span disks, each individual file can't be larger than the free space on any individual disk.

Ok... Got it! Thanks for the message :)