What am I missing? (Mover / Share Split Level)

Hi folks.

I think I'm missing something basic, even though I've been through all the settings time and again.

I've got a share set up for all my Public files, including the movies & TV shows, like this:

Public

|---Media

|   |---Movies

|   |   |---Full

|   |   |   |---MovieFolder

|   |   |---Kids

|   |   |   |---MovieFolder

|   |---TV Shows

|   |   |---Show Name

|   |   |   |---Season 01

|   |   |   |---Season 02

|   |   |---Show Name

|   |   |   |---Season 01

|   |   |   |---Season 02

The settings are as follows:

image.thumb.png.ed4928409914f95e38cf984c72eb8ee3.png

And these is the free space on all my drives:

image.thumb.png.143a268306fc516b48f86432fcaebed5.png

Now I have a movie folder on my cache drive (includes an MKV file of 16GB and a subtitles file of 95KB), that whenever Mover is running, moves the subtitles file to Disk #1, and leaves the MKV file on the cache drive due to insufficient space.

I expected the Mover to move the whole movie folder to Disk #3 according to the settings above, so what the heck am I missing?

Thanks for any help in advance

S.G.

9 minutes ago, Harro said:

Your minimum free space is 4GB while disk 3 has only 16.2 available. With a 16gb mkv to move, you will need to set free space a lot smaller.

You mean Mover tries to keep the free space after moving files to disk to 4GB?

If so, why doesn't it move the files to disk #6?

And why doesn't it move the folder as a whole? why seperate the subtitles from the movie if there isn't enough space for the whole folder to be moved to the array?

4 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

If the folder already exists on disk1 it will still try to move it there to respect split level, you need to delete/move the folder.

The movie folder exists only on the cache drive, the folder above it (Full) exists on Cache and disks 1,2 & 3, so that's not the cause for this unexpected behavior.

Trying to get my head around the settings once more:

Mover needs to move the following files from the cache to the array:

/mnt/cache/Public/Media/Movies/Full/MovieFolder (2019)/MovieFile.srt

/mnt/cache/Public/Media/Movies/Full/MovieFolder (2019)/MovieFile.mkv

The "MovieFolder (2019)" does not exist on any array drive, so according to the Split Level help item:

when a new file or subdirectory is being created, if the parent directory is at level "N", and does not exist on the chosen disk, Unraid OS will first create all necessary parent directories. If the parent directory of the new file or subdirectory is beyond level "N", then the new file or subdirectory is created on the same disk where the parent directory exists.

Public - Share

Media - Level 1

Movies - Level 2

Full - Level 3

So a few questions come to mind:

1. Is my level numbering correct, or is the Share considered Level 1?

2. What is been evaluated first, the Split Level or the Allocation Method?

Can it be that the Allocation Method marks a target disk that is not possible due to Split Level limitation?

3. Does mover calculate the size of the folder it needs to move, or is the calculation done per-file?

Switched my Split-Level to "top four", and Mover moved the folder to disk #6 (creating the "Movies" and "Full" folders while doing it) so I guess that:

1. Share is considered Level 1

2. Split Level is evaluated first, that's why the Mover didn't move the files to disk #6 with the previous limitations

3. Still unclear about it - if Split Level limited me to the drives already containing the Full folder, why didn't the files move to drive #3 (which has 16.2GB free) instead of drive #1 (with 204MB free)?

Will test again some configurations and report back with conclusions

9 minutes ago, gshlomi said:

3. Still unclear about it - if Split Level limited me to the drives already containing the Full folder, why didn't the files move to drive #3 (which has 16.2GB free) instead of drive #1 (with 204MB free)?

It's not that smart. Files are evaluated one-at-a-time. Your subtitle file met all the requirements and was moved to disk 1. The mkv was evaluated next and your split level and mostly-full disk prevented the mkv from moving.

I spent way too much time futzing with this in the past. Eventually I lost patience and set everything to "most-free" and "split any directory as required."

There seems to be some confusion about Minimum Free on this thread. Unraid has no way to know how large a file will become when it chooses a disk to write it to. If a disk has more than minimum, Unraid can choose the disk, no matter how large the file is. This is why the advice is to set Minimum Free for a share to larger than the largest file you expect to write to that user share.

To the OP, putting all these different things into a single user share keeps you (and Unraid) from managing them differently.

To give an example on how Minimum Free works:

You have a user share set to 10GB minimum. A disk has 11GB free. Unraid can choose the disk because it has more than minimum, and due to other factors, it does choose the disk and not some other. You write a 9GB file. After that, the disk has 2GB free. Since this is now less than minimum, Unraid will not choose the disk again.

Another example, similar conditions as above, but:

10GB minimum, disk has 11GB free, write a 15GB file. The disk can still be chosen since it has more than minimum, and it will run out of space trying to write the 15GB file.

• 2 years later...
On 4/19/2020 at 3:05 PM, trurl said:

To give an example on how Minimum Free works:

You have a user share set to 10GB minimum. A disk has 11GB free. Unraid can choose the disk because it has more than minimum, and due to other factors, it does choose the disk and not some other. You write a 9GB file. After that, the disk has 2GB free. Since this is now less than minimum, Unraid will not choose the disk again.

Another example, similar conditions as above, but:

10GB minimum, disk has 11GB free, write a 15GB file. The disk can still be chosen since it has more than minimum, and it will run out of space trying to write the 15GB file.

Yeah - that's definitely not how it works with Mover. It just picks the first disk and loads it up. It's super silly and has been causing me nothing but pain. Unless if I'm missing something, this is no where near production ready (realizing, that yes, it's been around for many many years).

3 hours ago, KyleS said:

Unless if I'm missing something, this is no where near production ready (realizing, that yes, it's been around for many many years).

Probably you are missing something.

You quoted a post in which I explained how Minimum Free works, but this old thread wasn't really about that.

What problem are you actually having?

Attach diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread.