GPU fans running 24/7 even not in use

There might be no way of resolving this but i will still ask.

At the moment I have a headless unraid server that’s running 24/7. Which is great but when I purchase the hardware it come with no graphics functions so I put in a NVidia 1020 ti card. 

All is good as now when I want to see what is happening all I have to do is plug in a monitor.

So now it has been running like this for about 1 year and the fans on the GPU is starting to make some noise.  And I hope you chaps can help.   So is there a way to power down the GPU/fans and only have them power up as and when the system need them ?

Edited by chris_netsmart
Fix Spelling
On 4/17/2020 at 6:26 PM, primeval_god said:

Stock unRAID does not include nvidia drivers. Whatever default (non-NVIDIA) driver is in use may not control the fan speed.

is there any cheap PCI-E GPOs on the market that will allow me to have graphic output and not for passthrough / transcoding.

my current hardware is ADM Ryzen 7 2700 .  B450 Tomahawk

Although unRAID does not have the proprietary drivers for GPUs I believe that just about any gpu should be able to provide the basic display as you have been doing with your 1020 ti. I dont know of any cards off hand but I believe that there are a number of passively cooled, low end Nvidia cards out there. It doesnt need to be particularly modern either. I have a Geforce GT240 (which is actively cooled) that i drop in to my server whenever I need to trace the bootup process.

On 4/16/2020 at 11:42 AM, chris_netsmart said:

There might be no way of resolving this but i will still ask.

At the moment I have a headless unraid server that’s running 24/7. Which is great but when I purchase the hardware it come with no graphics functions so I put in a NVidia 1020 ti card. 

All is good as now when I want to see what is happening all I have to do is plug in a monitor.

So now it has been running like this for about 1 year and the fans on the GPU is starting to make some noise.  And I hope you chaps can help.   So is there a way to power down the GPU/fans and only have them power up as and when the system need them ?

You can try installing the Unraid Nvidia plugin which will allow you to install the community-built Unraid Nvidia which has the driver compiled in. It hopefully will activate a better fan profile.

Alternatively, if you just want to "see what's happening", you can do it over the network. The GUI even has a console functionality.

Passively-cooled low-end graphic cards are also very cheap and could be even cheaper if buying used. The GT 710 for example goes for about $30/£30.