[SOLVED] WebUI is messed up

14 minutes ago, trurl said:

Added means ADDED to the array.

So no this is not correct. If you format the precleared disk before you assign it, then it won't be clear anymore and Unraid will have to clear it.

If I add it to the array then it becomes part of parity. When I go to remove it won’t UnRaid want to rebuild my parity drive? However, since the drive is just precleared, I don’t think it affects parity and I can override the rebuild but am I crazy in thinking/remembering that in the old days of the Joe L script, I could preclear a drive without adding it to the array?

Edit: Maybe we’re saying the same thing. My goal is just to stress test this disk so I know it’s ready in case of a problem.

Edited by betaman
3 minutes ago, betaman said:

If I add it to the array then it becomes part of parity. When I go to remove it won’t UnRaid want to rebuild my parity drive? However, since the drive is just precleared, I don’t think it affects parity and I can override the rebuild but am I crazy in thinking/remembering that in the old days of the Joe L script, I could preclear a drive without adding it to the array?

If you don't want to add it now, just don't add it, but don't format it either. Format writes an empty filesystem to the disk. That is what format has always meant in every operating system you have ever used. A formatted disk is not a clear disk as already said.

Misunderstanding the meaning of format seems to be very common, and has caused data loss in many cases when people format a disk they need to rebuild or repair the filesystem on.

6 minutes ago, trurl said:

If you don't want to add it now, just don't add it, but don't format it either. Format writes an empty filesystem to the disk. That is what format has always meant in every operating system you have ever used. A formatted disk is not a clear disk as already said.

Misunderstanding the meaning of format seems to be very common, and has caused data loss in many cases when people format a disk they need to rebuild or repair the filesystem on.

Ok got it. Like I said, the icon to format the disk is what confused me. I’ll preclear it and leave it unassigned or remove it. When I do have to assign it then it will be formatted. Thanks.