Are 4-in-3 or 5-in-3 SATA backplanes relatively quiet?

Chuck

I went with a cheap 4-in-3 that has two 50mm fans, and it is obnoxious. Even the air entering the doors causes turbulence and creates noise. One thing I will say about it is it keeps the disks cool. Building parity not one has exceeded 32º C.

So I am shopping for a replacement. 4 disks is fine and I assume should cool slightly better, although rarely will I be spinning up more than one at a time so heat isn't a huge concern.

I went with a cheap 4-in-3 that has two 50mm fans, and it is obnoxious. Even the air entering the doors causes turbulence and creates noise. One thing I will say about it is it keeps the disks cool. Building parity not one has exceeded 32º C.

So I am shopping for a replacement. 4 disks is fine and I assume should cool slightly better, although rarely will I be spinning up more than one at a time so heat isn't a huge concern.

The Icy Dock 5-in-3 is practically silent.  I have two in one machine.

If you make sure to buy a model with an easily replaceable fan(s) (and a lot of them allow this) then you can mod them with a quieter fan quite easily.

I've modded all of mine and cooling is more than adequate fully populated with minimal noise.

I have ordered a couple quieter fans for the SNT case, and a slow & quiet 120mm for the case. Last night I ran a parity check, and while the house did get down to 66º F, the disks in the SNT were all under 30º C when I woke up this morning. The parity check was still running. That is too cold.

I am also putting a passive cooler on the CPU and slowed down the 120mm fan on the other 4 disks by 50%. I may disconnect the fan on those disks if it isn't needed.

A google study on disk failures found that 35-40º C was the range in which disks last the longest. Too cold was nearly as bad as too hot. Remember these have bearings and moving parts, just like a car engine, and the range where the tolerances are ideal is finite.

Archived