Video Card Needed For Windows & Mac

John Graham

Hello Not A new user but new problem ...

I am running a Full 4U SuperMicro X9QR7-TF+/X9qri-f+

I am in need to Add a video card i have 4 slots pci-e 3.0 X16

i have no power (6pin) to plugin to the cards. i'm not a gamer, have never been. 

So i don't know one card from another. (Nothing Wrong with Games)

I need to run a 3D software on the MAC and or Windows 10 (Both would be Grate)

Can any one PLEASE!! help out here ... I know i am asking a lot. But i just don't know what i need .. A little gaming for the Family ?;-> i don't need a killer card just a good one. It would be cool it it was small i could add more than one.

Any help PLEASE i will even Leave me Home e-mail {[email protected])

Thanks John

if you looking for a "no" power cable video card to run for you purpose. you could also try a RX550 4GB model or RX560 (as long as its a 75W TDP design).  IIRC mac is native / compatible with AMD graphics cards so they'd have to be your first choice. Though, if you can download unofficial drivers for Nvidia Graphics to run on your mac VM, then you'd be looking at the GTX1650 or older GTX1050. All of these cards I've listed are all Dual slot cards and would take up 2 spaces on the motherboard.

On a side note, if you need additional horsepower for your 3D application. you can look above these models, but you will require a power adapter. There are SATA power / Molex power to pcie power adapters. I would ONLY use these IF you cannot swap your power supply out and again Only on a card with sub 150W TDP like an RX570 - GTX1660 (non super). And i would urge you to consider the gauge of the wire coming from the SATA power cables and how many devices you run off those. If you overload those wires you're gonna have a bad day.

**EDIT** if your only looking for a single slot card, have a look at the "workstation" cards like the 

AMD FirePro V5900 Workstation Graphics Card or AMD FirePro V7900

Edited by MegaHurtz

Will I am Back again  ... wanted to say thanks to all the help ... I just got in a GTS RADEON RX 580. AND BOY WHAT A NIGHTMARE. First it does not fit to tall for a 4U Case.. I can live with that .. cant get it working and i am back again here to see if you all can bail me out again . tell you what i can install windows 10 VM fast now .. after doing it 20 some times ?;->

1) i have the server in the basement and the computer lab in the attic(4th floor) i have never had a monitor setup for it other that the VGA for install and watch to boot. My plan was never use a monitor in the basement using a computer from the 3rd floor to install and run the VM's. now my big question ( i can use the card it another computer so it is not a wast). But how can install the card in a vm? do i need a monitor to set it up. if so with it have to stay there?

some of what i tryed:

a) i do a full install of windows 10 pro

b) load all drivers to get the system up and running Key and all

c) i install "nomachine" in the new VM much faster than vnc, and it bring it's own software sound card  with the program so you can have sound and it is FREE 😆

d) switch video card from VNC to 580 boot up and nothering

e) even tried added 2 Video cards 1)vnc 2)580 still no good as soon as i try to install drivers for the 580 ( the drivers do see the card ) screen loads about 1/2 way (48%)goes black and nothing works all  black screen on the VNC and npmachine ?:-<  

UnRaid Version: 6.8.3 Pro
Supermicro X9QR7-TF+/X9QRi-F+, Version 123456789
American Megatrends Inc, Version 3.0a

Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-4650 v2 @ 2.40GHz

Memory 128 GiB DDR3 Multi-bit ECC Utilization: 15%
Overall Load:     4%

thanks as always

John

Edited by John Graham