Install unRAID into SanDisk Ultra Fit USB3.1 16GB flash drive

Hi All,

I am in the transition of buying unRAID license, but before I do it, I want some advice on the flash drive

Currently I have unRAID server installed on a Sandisk Cruzer Edge 8GB USB2.0, loading OS

was slow and loading the web page on the plugin tab was slow also. It was an old USB

drive, I wanted to upgrade it to the newest one. And hopefully can see some speed improvement.

I went ahead and installed unRAID server into a Sandisk Ultra Fit USB3.1 16GB, 

I am planning to use the flash drive on a USB2.0 port.

Unfortunately, I have no success in creating a USB flash drive by using the USB creator software.

It always stuck at the final bit: Syncing files system.....

However, I was able to install it using the manual method, but did not try to boot yet.

As, I wanted to load all the configuration settings from the zip back up file.

Questions

1) It seems like there is an issue about the Sandisk Ultra Fit USB3.1 /3.0 flash drive,

perhaps not as durable as its older generation USB2.0 drive?  or Should I stick back to

the original Sandisk Cruzer USB drive?

2) How to restore all the configuration settings from the back up zip file, if I create

a bootable drive using the manual way?

I found the way to restore the configuration settings from the back up zip file.

Just copy the content of the zip file, and then run make_bootable.bat file.

Thank you.

Unraid usb creator stuck at Syncing file system.jpg

The youtuber: Spaceinvader One was also using the same USB flash drive: SanDisk Ultra Fit 16GB.

Strangely his one was good enough to finish installing. But mine doesn't.

Spaceinvader_one_SanDisk_Ultra_Fit1.jpg

I went out and bought a new SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 flash drive.

Shockingly, the program could not detect the presence of the drive

that is already inserted into my PC USB port. While Windows 10

was able to detect it.

USB-creator-did-not-see-the-USB-drive.jpg

Edited by wepee
On 4/19/2020 at 4:50 PM, wepee said:

I am in the transition of buying unRAID license, but before I do it, I want some advice on the flash drive

Currently I have unRAID server installed on a Sandisk Cruzer Edge 8GB USB2.0, loading OS

was slow and loading the web page on the plugin tab was slow also. It was an old USB

drive, I wanted to upgrade it to the newest one. And hopefully can see some speed improvement.

Questions

1) It seems like there is an issue about the Sandisk Ultra Fit USB3.1 /3.0 flash drive,

perhaps not as durable as its older generation USB2.0 drive?  or Should I stick back to

the original Sandisk Cruzer USB drive?

Your effort to upgrade the USB stick was probably misguided.

Unraid OS is loaded into RAM at boot so if you use USB 3.0 stick, all you will save is about 10 seconds of boot time and that's about it.

I think you should just continue with the 2.0 stick.

I have quite a collection of USB memory sticks, so when choosing which one to use for unRAID I tried a few, from USB 2.0, USB 3.0 and USB 3.1.

By far the most concerning one was the Sandisk Ultra Fit 3.1, just sat doing nothing in a USB slot it gets inordinately hot and I worried about it's longevity so tried all my options and found the Sandisk Ultra USB 3.0 16gb/32gb sticks to be performant with no heat issues.

As mentioned the only theoretical advantage of faster USB drives is when unRAID boots, it loads everything in to RAM so you might see a marginal improvement in boot speed using a faster USB stick, but once booted the USB stick is unused as it's all down to your CPU and RAM as to how fast unRAID runs. 

Dockers / VMs etc will also depend on the speed of the cache drive (if using one) and how much it accesses the main array etc, but again, nothing dependent on the unRAID USB stick speed.

Fully agree with the above regarding those tiny Sandisk Ultras look so ideal since they take little space on the back and won't get clipped and broken when moving and tussling around in the dark and back.

On that note its hot and likely to melt off think ill stick to a long stick instead id bet it would last much longer.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using the SanDisk Ultra Fit 16 GB (USB 3.1) and although I had issues using the automatic installer, manually setting up the USB worked fine. Boots fine, Web GUI is fine. I haven't noticed any issues when using the USB. I bought it solely for the small form factor.

1 hour ago, Nelinski said:

I bought it solely for the small form factor.

I always recommend larger physical drives for longevity, compact little ones tend to have a hard time shedding heat and burn out.

If you are worried about the drive getting hit, use a motherboard 10 pin IDC to USB header and tape it inside the case.

9 hours ago, bucky2076 said:

i also bought the ultrafit 3.1, and was dissapointed to see the automatic method would not work for this unit. I might try the manual install... is it documented ?

Format the stick with fat32 with default windows dialog and name it UNRAID

Download zip from unraid site and unzip to stick.

Than execute make bootable in usb folder on stick.

• Like 2
On 4/30/2020 at 11:34 PM, Snubbers said:

IBy far the most concerning one was the Sandisk Ultra Fit 3.1, just sat doing nothing in a USB slot it gets inordinately hot and I worried about it's longevity so tried all my options and found the Sandisk Ultra USB 3.0 16gb/32gb sticks to be performant with no heat issues.

+1

Have been running 2x SanDisk Cruzer Fit Ultra 16GB USB3.0 for +3 years in seperate Unraid machines without issue.

Strange that the USB3.1 versions are creating issues.