future new user Unraid

Philaudio

Hello everyone, please be indulgent with my English because I am French speaking Belgian.

here I will explain my current situation on a configuration that I have. here are the details of my PC on which I would like to place Unraid.

motherboard Workstation : Asus Z8NA-D6 with dual Xeon E5620 with fan and radiator, but I replace them with X5675 and watercooling ( 

I already have the CPUs, I'm waiting for the watercooling )

memory 24 GB ECC 1333mhz

graphique card : Radeon pulse RX580 8gb

card Pike Raid for 8 HDD

SATA SSD 240 and SSD 480GB with docker ICY Dock : flexidock MB524SP-B .

for the moment I am running this configuration under Win10 and MacOSX 10.14.06 MOJAVE.

I recovered a lot of computer equipment from my company which discarded it and this allowed me to be able to do tests : example

two serveur supermicro X8DTU-6F with 96gb ram ECC and dock for 16 HDD 2.5" SAS 1 TB 7200rpm and other SAS HDD 3.5" 1TB 10000rpm for for a total of 50 HDD in all.

for the moment I tried VMware ESXI to test the VM and it works with Win10 and OSX, happy but not completely satisfied .

I am looking for the use of Virtual Machine + nas + kodi and other dockers.

I specify that if you have not been to see my presentation, I am an electromechanic by training and that I have computer science in my spare time as a passion, that's it for a little summary.

well, currently I download and install unraid on my usb and start the X8dtu-6f card to do my tests, already not easy because it was necessary to configure the SAS for the virtual disks so that they can be recognized under Unraid , 

First question :

as they are mainly HDD of 1tb, to be able to use in NAS and assure the data, it would be preferable that I pass on 3 HDD 1tb for 1 HDD 4TB for the safeguard? when do you think ? 

because on the workstation card I only have 8 HDD SAS available Maximum and my idea would then be to make two compositions each time 3 HDD of 1TB for 1 HDD 4TB, sorry if I don't make myself clear.

second question :

under VMware ESXI 6.7, I didn't really know how to try the graphics card in passthrough (2u server with riser card and not possible to power it for lack of cable), under Unraid is that the card can be placed on a VM in passthrough and what loss would I have from a direct operating system like Win10? reactivity I mean

third question :

I play a game under Win10 by the UPLAY platform on a game which this name ANNO 2205 which uses a lot of cpu and graphics card, does this pose a problem under VM in terms of performance?

that's why I have a docker for mutliboot between Win10 and OSX, but alas I don't know how to use both at the same time. I don't need a passthrough graphics card for OSX at the moment, but I plan on doing that later. for the moment I am in a test version of the possibilities of unraid and see if it could suit me later, because I am on the discovery phase on material that is already well outdated.

because my goal and to be able to mount a new machine with an AMD CPU type ryzen 9 3950X which could then meet all the requests that I would need in both OS with their graphics cards.

best regard,Phil

10 minutes ago, Philaudio said:

3 HDD 1tb for 1 HDD 4TB for the safeguard?

Parity only has to be as large as the largest single data disk. So with 3x1TB array data disks, a 1TB parity disk provides all the protection and a larger parity disk provides no additional protection, though it will allow you to use larger data disks in the future. For example if you already have 4TB parity, you can add or replace disks with any disk up to 4TB in size.

15 minutes ago, Philaudio said:

make two compositions each time 3 HDD of 1TB for 1 HDD 4TB

Unraid only allows one array, many more than 8 disks can be in that array, with up to 2 parity disks.

You can also have a cache pool with various btrfs raid configurations. People often use SSDs for the cache pool.

13 hours ago, trurl said:

Parity only has to be as large as the largest single data disk. So with 3x1TB array data disks, a 1TB parity disk provides all the protection and a larger parity disk provides no additional protection, though it will allow you to use larger data disks in the future. For example if you already have 4TB parity, you can add or replace disks with any disk up to 4TB in size.

Unraid only allows one array, many more than 8 disks can be in that array, with up to 2 parity disks.

You can also have a cache pool with various btrfs raid configurations. People often use SSDs for the cache pool.

Hello trurl,

I don't really understand what you mean, for the moment I have a synology DS413J NAS in SHR mode 

and I currently use the following configuration 1.8tb + 1.8tb + 1tb + 1.8tb which gives me the storage capacity of 4.5tb with obviously the security that 1 disk fails . what I would like is to have a guarantee that if 2 disks fail I can replace them without loss of data: Raid 6 mode would be best, but I don't know if unraid manages this mode? is what unraid does this with double parity?

if I understand with my 8 hdd each of 1tb, I get with UNRAID in double parity 6 TB of backup with 2tb of double parity in case 2 disks fail? it's fair.

for the cache pool, I can try to go through a SATA SSD to do the test, but when my configuration to which I want to finalize with the AMD processor is to switch to NMVE, which would be faster I think?

for my third question,

you didn't tell me anything? is there a power loss in VM? can be quantified as a percentage.

Best regards, Phil

I don't have any experience with synology.

Unraid IS NOT RAID. It is similar in some ways, in that it does allow one or two parity disks. But there is no striping. Each data disk in the array is an independent filesystem. Each file exists completely on a single disk. Folders can span disks (User Shares).

Because there is no striping, read speed is at the speed of the single disk the file is on. Write speed is somewhat slower than single disk speed, since parity is realtime and must also be updated.

But, because each disk is independent, each disk can be easily read on any Linux independently of any other disk. You can use different sized disks in the array, and easily replace or add disks without rebuilding the whole array.

Each parity disk must be at least as large as any single data disk. Single parity allows you to recover a single drive, dual parity allows you to recover 2 drives simultaneously.

Note that parity, whether RAID or Unraid, is NEVER a backup. Parity is basically the same concept wherever it is used in computing and communications. Parity is simply an extra bit that allows a missing bit to be calculated from all the other bits. So, all those other bits (disks) are required to recover the missing bits.

This wiki overview is a good start to understanding Unraid:

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Overview

As for your third question, that is a case of a simple question that doesn't have a simple answer. Not because the answer is too hard necessarily, but because the question is too simple.

In other words, it depends on a lot of factors which you haven't specified.

Also, I don't have much experience with that either. I just have a simple Ubuntu VM that I seldom play with and it only uses VNC for display.

Most of my needs are handled by dockers.

merci pour tous vos conseils.

C'est vrai qu'il n'est pas toujours facile de pouvoir répondre à une certaine question ou on n'est pas concerné, des amis sans peur d'avoir l'air vraiment bien mais ça fait peur pour des gens comme moi car je ne suis pas vraiment informaticien mais j'aime le challenge.

Edited by Philaudio