novnc connection issue on Chromebook

So when I try to connect to my VMs on my Chromebook I now get a failed to connect error.  It works fine in Chrome on a PC and also has worked on the Chromebook in the past.  Does anyone have an idea of what might be causing the issue?  I'm running a Pixelbook on version 81.0.4044.94 of ChromeOS.  I think I did recently update the OS, maybe that is the problem. 

I have tried using VNC Viewer on the Pixelbook and it doesn't seem to want to connect either.  Maybe I'm making false assumptions with the port.  This is my URL to the VM in novnc: 192.168.86.3/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/vnc.html?autoconnect=true&host=192.168.86.3&port=&path=/wsproxy/5700/

I'm assuming the port is 5700 to connect to in another VNC client, right?  Anyone have an idea of what might be going on?

IP should be the IP address of the host server and each time a VM starts is spawns a new port, so if you only have one VM running it should start on port 5900 not 5700. Try connecting to 5900 with a software install VNC Viewer instead and this should get around the problem.

Ports are normally listed on the VM host page of the unRaid server in question.

Edited by Andrew Clarke
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Andrew Clarke said:

IP should be the IP address of the host server and each time a VM starts is spawns a new port, so if you only have one VM running it should start on port 5900 not 5700. Try connecting to 5900 with a software install VNC Viewer instead and this should get around the problem.

Ports are normally listed on the VM host page of the unRaid server in question.

Thanks for the help.  So I actually am using VNC Viewer on the Chromebook.  When I connect to 5900 it just sits there and says Attempting to reconnect to VNC Server.  It's very odd.

You are right though.  I see now that the Graphics column in the VMS section of Unraid says VNC:5900.  I'm not sure what's up suddenly with my Pixelbook.  For what it's worth I have two VMs (one is normally off) but neither seem to allow me to connect from the Chromebook right now.

Hmm... From the Chromebook I assume you can ping the host (192.168.86.3). 

If network comms are OK, I suspect its gonna be a setting within noVNC thats causing it. Failing this I would recommend something like tightvnc or vncviewer from the chromebook.

I know this is a daft question to ask but your VM is turned on? Are you sure it hasnt crashed? Check to make sure it actually says port 5900. Each VM thats made, when started, is issued its own VNC port. 

Ports start at 5900 and then increment by 1 for each active VM within the pool. 

Hope this is of some help. 

• Like 1

Dear Lord, what a pain in the ass.  I'm not sure what I did but after deleting and re-adding the config in VNC Viewer and turning off the setting Connect via Proxy, which was on by default, everything seems to be working.  I still can't connect to the VM using through the Unraid VNC Remote, but that's fine.  I'll play more with VNC Viewer.  I'm sure it will work fine. 

Thanks for all the help @Andrew Clarke