Kernel Panic on USB PCIe Passthrough

I'm going through the exercise of passing through 2 USB controllers. One is onboard, the other is a addin card bought for that task.

Passing through the Addin card works as expected.

Passing through the internal PCIe USB controller gets as far as selecting it on the VM menu, starting the VM, getting a Kernel panic in unraid and the server hard crashing, and having to reboot.

Relevant:

kernel /bzimage
append vfio-pci.ids=1b73:1100,1022:149c pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction initrd=/bzroot

I'm guessing the answer may be try to passthrough the other onboard USB controller, and if that doesn't work... get a new motherboard? No more room for addin cards.

tower-diagnostics-20200421-1144.zip

Edited by bobo89

You might want to add 1022:1486, 1022:1485, 1022:1487 to vfio-pci.ids

Then pass through the onboard audio (29:00.4) as well as the USB device.

Apparently USB + onboard audio are on the same bus (29:00.3 and 29:00.4) so they should be passed through together to the same VM.

Failing that, you might want to pass through the whole chain (29:00.0, 29:00.1, 29:00.3, 29:00.4) to the same VM).

Before deciding which USB controller to pass through, always double check which one has your Unraid USB stick plugged into. Casually changing USB controller pass through without checking will inevitably cause problems.

1 minute ago, testdasi said:

You might want to add 1022:1486, 1022:1485, 1022:1487 to vfio-pci.ids

Then pass through the onboard audio (29:00.4) as well as the USB device.

Apparently USB + onboard audio are on the same bus (29:00.3 and 29:00.4) so they should be passed through together to the same VM.

Failing that, you might want to pass through the whole chain (29:00.0, 29:00.1, 29:00.3, 29:00.4) to the same VM).

Before deciding which USB controller to pass through, always double check which one has your Unraid USB stick plugged into. Casually changing USB controller pass through without checking will inevitably cause problems.

Thanks! I managed to passthrough the other usb controller which works for my purposes. It's kind of nerve racking trying this through trial and error as each time the server locks up hard. At minimum parity needs to be rescanned. But maybe something worse happens during the hard crash...

7 minutes ago, bobo89 said:

Thanks! I managed to passthrough the other usb controller which works for my purposes. It's kind of nerve racking trying this through trial and error as each time the server locks up hard. At minimum parity needs to be rescanned. But maybe something worse happens during the hard crash...

Then the crash might have been due to passing through the controller that the USB stick is on.

1 minute ago, testdasi said:

Then the crash might have been due to passing through the controller that the USB stick is on.

That part I was careful of not doing. I think you may be right that the sound card is on the bus and that may of caused issues. I already bought some usb sound cards to by pass that issue.