How to Set Up a Multi-Streaming Server with Unraid

21 hours ago, dcnative1012 said:

So does this take the encoding work off your main PC or does this just act as a pass through streaming server so you can hit multiple streaming sites at once? Stupid question as I believe it does not, but wanted to be sure. 

Assuming your Unraid server is not the same as your gaming PC, the load would be removed. 

12 hours ago, francrouge said:

Just tested really nice 

A quick question

Did you test audio also ? 

Did experience people not able to ear me maybe its just my setup

Thx a lot

Yup audio worked for me.  Only thing I can think of is, to double check your audio capture settings, which I'm sure you have done.

• Like 1

I found my issue.

The blog post said:

user nginx;
worker_processes auto;
rtmp_auto_push on;
events {}
rtmp {
	server {
		listen [::]:1935;
		chunk_size 4096;
		application live {
			live on;
			record off;
			push 'rtmp://live-atl.twitch.tv/app/<yourTwitchStreamKey>';
		}
	}
}

But the picture had this:

user nginx;
worker_processes auto;
rtmp_auto_push on;
events {}
rtmp {
	server {
#		ipv6only=off;
		chunk_size 4096;
		application live {
			live on;
			record off;
		}
	}
}

So I had to add this line:

#        ipv6only=off;

before it worked.

I don't know if anyone else had the same issue. But this was how I solved it at least.

7 hours ago, Nanobug said:

I found my issue.

The blog post said:

user nginx;
worker_processes auto;
rtmp_auto_push on;
events {}
rtmp {
	server {
		chunk_size 4096;
		application live {
			live on;
			record off;
		}
	}
}

But the picture had this:

user nginx;
worker_processes auto;
rtmp_auto_push on;
events {}
rtmp {
	server {
#		ipv6only=off;
		chunk_size 4096;
		application live {
			live on;
			record off;
		}
	}
}

So I had to add this line:

#        ipv6only=off;

before it worked.

I don't know if anyone else had the same issue. But this was how I solved it at least.

That should have made no difference as lines starting with # are comments.   Still if it worked for you .... :)

On 4/29/2020 at 4:39 PM, MDHMatt said:

what if you have more than one pc to stream? as in two gamers streaming at the same time. would you need to duplicate the container after setup and point each individually or can you have both stream to the same container?

You could duplicate the container but you would most likely have to change the ports.  I have a feeling if you stream to the same container things are not going to work.

Client 1 and Container 1: port 1935

Client 2 and Container 2: port 1936

That should work in my mind but this is not something I have tested.

Something I am planning to do or work on is figure out how to get two computers to stream to the server and then to twitch.   Both computers would basically be like in split screen.  However, it seems the best way to do this is use OBS with NDI on the server.  Then within the canvas just make sure both computers have equal space.  I'd like do this with a container instead of a VM but it is proving rather difficult.

On 5/9/2020 at 5:44 PM, Nanobug said:

I agree. It makes no sense, but that's how I got it to work.

@itimpi is right, the # is to comment that line out and it shoudn't have been read by the container.  If you copy and pasted there could have been a hidden character that was breaking things.  But if you added that line in and it worked then that makes things super bizarre.  Anyway.  Glad you got it working.

Edited by spx404
Just now, spx404 said:

@itimpi is right, the # is to comment that line out and it shoudn't have been read by the container.  If you copy and pasted there could have been a hidden character that was breaking things.  But if you added that line in and it worked then that makes things super bizarre.  Anyway.  Glad you got it working.

If there was a hidden character, and it worked after after adding the comment line, shouldn't the result have been the same then?

Another thing, and this is probably on me.
Can you make it stream to a remote server?
For example:
Can my brother send the transcoding work to my server over the internet?
I tried port forwarding it, but I wasn't successful with it. I'm not sure how to make it work exactly.

Any ideas?

5 hours ago, Nanobug said:

If there was a hidden character, and it worked after after adding the comment line, shouldn't the result have been the same then?

Another thing, and this is probably on me.
Can you make it stream to a remote server?
For example:
Can my brother send the transcoding work to my server over the internet?
I tried port forwarding it, but I wasn't successful with it. I'm not sure how to make it work exactly.

Any ideas?

Yeah that's what I mean, super bizarre. lol

-Probably

-To be clear, this docker does not do any transcoding, your gaming rig will do all the transcoding work.  This setup simply allows you to stream to multiple places at once.

-When you port forward, your brother used your public IP:port to reach your server?

-He could VPN into your network as an alternative to exposing your system to the internet.

12 hours ago, spx404 said:

Yeah that's what I mean, super bizarre. lol

-Probably

-To be clear, this docker does not do any transcoding, your gaming rig will do all the transcoding work.  This setup simply allows you to stream to multiple places at once.

-When you port forward, your brother used your public IP:port to reach your server?

-He could VPN into your network as an alternative to exposing your system to the internet.

So.. The server does not do the transcoding work? It only distributes it to multiple platforms?

@Nanobug

The server does not do any encoding/transcoding/decoding work.  It simply takes a single RTMP stream and distributes that stream to multiple platforms of your choosing.

Fear not.  I am actively working on an OBS-Server container to take a stream from your gaming computer and encode/transcode/decode the stream, then send it off to twitch.  But it is proving rather difficult due to my lack of understanding Docker and poor documentation.  Stay tuned.

Edited by spx404
3 hours ago, spx404 said:

@Nanobug

The server does not do any encoding/transcoding/decoding work.  It simply takes a single RTMP stream and distributes that stream to multiple platforms of your choosing.

Fear not.  I am actively working on an OBS-Server container to take a stream from your gaming computer and encode/transcode/decode the stream, then send it off to twitch.  But it is proving rather difficult due to my lack of understanding Docker and poor documentation.  Stay tuned.

That sounds really good! How can I hear about it when there's news about it?

• 7 months later...
On 5/14/2020 at 6:22 AM, spx404 said:

@Nanobug

Well if I remember I can just let you know here.  Also, I started working late last night.  I have no idea how long it will take me to complete.  But if you don't hear from me in like a month, I either died, gave up, or forgot.  Sooooooooooo oops.

Are you ok 😀 An OBS NDI CA container would be amazing. 

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, I have a question. 

I want to setup a multistreaming server (using nginx), for multiple streamers tho. What should I need to check in terms of server/vps specs? 

It should be unlimited bandwidth, right? What about RAM, CPU?

e.g.: 5 streamers, 3 platforms each (twich, youtube etc), 4 hours of stream per day.

Thank you in advance 

33 minutes ago, brownie said:

Hello everyone, I have a question. 

I want to setup a multistreaming server (using nginx), for multiple streamers tho. What should I need to check in terms of server/vps specs? 

It should be unlimited bandwidth, right? What about RAM, CPU?

e.g.: 5 streamers, 3 platforms each (twich, youtube etc), 4 hours of stream per day.

Thank you in advance 

Make sure the CPU is good enough to handle the stream.

I doubt the single core VPS you can get, will be able to do it

4 minutes ago, Nanobug said:

Make sure the CPU is good enough to handle the stream.

I doubt the single core VPS you can get, will be able to do it

But I can get a 4 Core VPS, no? If not, a dedicated hosting server maybe?

I am also talking about multiple streamers and multiple streams. At the same time. So what is a ''good enough''? Any numbers or range about the server specs I should take care of? 

Thanks

8 minutes ago, brownie said:

But I can get a 4 Core VPS, no? If not, a dedicated hosting server maybe?

I am also talking about multiple streamers and multiple streams. At the same time. So what is a ''good enough''? Any numbers or range about the server specs I should take care of? 

Thanks

It depends on what resolution and fps you want to stream in, and at what bitrate.

Quick search on google says 2-4 cores and 4 B of RAM.