How to Set Up a Multi-Streaming Server with Unraid

For a single person? 

Furthermore: Nginx rtmp would be a ''re-stream'' service, right? Because I will just be using the server to send the same stream to multiple platforms. So I will need less than usual. 

The reason I am asking though, is beacause I want to have multiple streamers (people) streaming to multiple platforms at once. Not only me multistreaming.

That means that there will be multiple and different channels at the same time = multiple nginx applications under the same server.  This is why I am asking: Do I need specific specs for my VPS/dedicated server or it does not really matter. (Except bandwidth, I suppose). 

I am just trying to find out how it works 😛

19 minutes ago, brownie said:

For a single person? 

Furthermore: Nginx rtmp would be a ''re-stream'' service, right? Because I will just be using the server to send the same stream to multiple platforms. So I will need less than usual. 

The reason I am asking though, is beacause I want to have multiple streamers (people) streaming to multiple platforms at once. Not only me multistreaming.

That means that there will be multiple and different channels at the same time = multiple nginx applications under the same server.  This is why I am asking: Do I need specific specs for my VPS/dedicated server or it does not really matter. (Except bandwidth, I suppose). 

I am just trying to find out how it works 😛

Yes. You're transcoding each stream.

Yes, the multi streaming server is just like a distributor.

You asked about streaming requirements, so I thought you meant the transcode power.

If you're just using the multi streaming, then I think a couple of cores is enough. Don't hold me up on that though, I haven't tried it myself.

I guess the easiest way is to test it yourself to find out what is needed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 12:56 AM, PzrrL said:

If I already have a container from linuxserver/swag (with nginx in it), can I just copy the config to swag, instead of creating another container?

I can't give you a warm fuzzy answer that is directly a yes.  However, in theory it should work.  Just copy and backup your config files and give it a try?  Then let us know?

Edited by spx404
I'm a dummy and can't use English well.
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 10:52 PM, spxlabs said:

I can't give you a warm fuzzy answer that is directly a yes.  However, in theory it should work.  Just copy and backup your config files and give it a try?  Then let us know?

Thanks for your response. I am just curious about it and thought it would be interesting. Not intended to do it in any short time 😛

• 2 years later...
On 4/18/2023 at 7:12 AM, HostCentricUK said:

Hi Guys/Gals,

I am new here and I am looking to see if there is an updated version of the setup instructions and information on how to set the server to send to the different platforms (Facebook/YouTube/Twitch).

I'm not aware of any updated instructions over the last two years.  However, as far as streaming to different platforms.
In the nginx.conf you would add a second url to Facebook/YouTube/Twitch.

So something like this.

server {

listen [::]:1935;

chunk_size 4096;

application live {

live on;

record off;

push rtmp://live.twitch.tv/app/YOUR_TWITCH_KEY;

push rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2/YOUR_YOUTUBE_KEY;

Pretty sure anyway.  I haven't looked at this in two years....