Zoom Sucks: Riot Chat + Jitsi Video Conference Setup

Yes, Jitsi is working fine for me. If you enable Jitsi authentication, I haven't figure out how to pass that in, yet. You can work around this by not exposing the Jitsi web UI to the public and letting all the setup occur inside your docker network between the riot server and jitsi server.

A couple thoughts:

Is your channel encrypted? Bots wont work on encrypted channels.

If you want to run your own bot, you need to figure out how to host your own Matrix Integrations Server, and run the bots there. I haven't gotten that far yet. If you figure it out, please share!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 5:51 PM, Heciruam said:

So if I only need voice chat but not the video calls do I still need jitsi? I thought matrix comes with some form of webRTC voice communication?

My understanding is that matrix basically just meshes all these things together.  Riot would allow you to call or text users you add. If you wanted to just call anyone you might have to do some searching to find the app that works for that

Fantastic guide! Thank you for your effort on this! One thing that caused me a lot of tripped me up

4. Under `listeners:` and `- port: 8008` change `bind_address: ['0.0.0.0']`

I didn't realize what you meant.  Ended up spinning my wheels for a few hours.  Just in case someone else runs into issues, your line should look like this:

bind_addresses: ['0.0.0.0']

I didn't know the first part had to be removed, because you didn't explicitly say it.  I kept leaving it in there and only changing the second ip to 0.0.0.0.  Dumb.  I know :)  But just in case another idiot comes along

Edited by TeddyTux
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 3:54 PM, TeddyTux said:

Fantastic guide! Thank you for your effort on this! One thing that caused me a lot of tripped me up

4. Under `listeners:` and `- port: 8008` change `bind_address: ['0.0.0.0']`

I didn't realize what you meant.  Ended up spinning my wheels for a few hours.  Just in case someone else runs into issues, your line should look like this:

I didn't know the first part had to be removed, because you didn't explicitly say it.  I kept leaving it in there and only changing the second ip to 0.0.0.0.  Dumb.  I know :)  But just in case another idiot comes along

if you don't have ipv6 make sure you don't have it listed ['::1', '0.0.0.0'] or whatever it looked like, make sure you set it as TeddyTux mentioned above... Took me a couple minutes to notice this.

@yinzer Hi! I was wondering you could help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm just about to give up. I've gotten everything up and running except for this matrix server and I've been working on it for the better part or two days now 🙁. I'd love for it to be something really silly because I followed the directions and uninstalled and reinstalled the set up multiple times now, but I'm not sure anymore. Everything else works. I've attached the logs and config files. I've changed the domain to "domain.net" for security.

My main issues off the bat is the following:

Doesn't Register As An Error or Warning But Thought It Was Concerning

Cannot create pid file: /var/run/turnserver.pid: Permission denied

Warnings

[WARNING] cannot find certificate file: /data/bridge.domain.net.tls.crt (1)

[WARNING] cannot start TLS and DTLS listeners because certificate file is not set properly

[WARNING] cannot find private key file: /data/bridge.xb34st.com.tls.key (1)

[WARNING] cannot start TLS and DTLS listeners because private key file is not set properly

[WARNING] cannot find DH key file: /data/bridge.xb34st.com.tls.dh (1)

[WARNING] - None - Server /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/app/homeserver.py version 1.14.0

Errors

[ERROR] CONFIG ERROR: Empty cli-password, and so telnet cli interface is disabled! Please set a non empty cli-password!

[ERROR] - - Traceback (most recent call last):

[ERROR] - - File "/usr/lib/python3.7/runpy.py", line 193, in _run_module_as_main

[ERROR] - - "__main__", mod_spec)

[ERROR] - - File "/usr/lib/python3.7/runpy.py", line 85, in _run_code

[ERROR] - - exec(code, run_globals)

[ERROR] - - File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/app/homeserver.py", line 682, in <module>

[ERROR] - - main()

[ERROR] - - File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/app/homeserver.py", line 677, in main

[ERROR] - - hs = setup(sys.argv[1:])

[ERROR] - - File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/app/homeserver.py", line 372, in setup

[ERROR] - - hs.setup()

[ERROR] - - File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/server.py", line 274, in setup

[ERROR] - - self.datastores = DataStores(self.DATASTORE_CLASS, self)

[ERROR] - - File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/storage/data_stores/__init__.py", line 49, in __init__

[ERROR] - - with make_conn(database_config, engine) as db_conn:

[ERROR] - - File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/storage/database.py", line 112, in make_conn

[ERROR] - - db_conn = engine.module.connect(**db_params)

[ERROR] - - sqlite3.OperationalError: unable to open database file

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

homeserver.log matrix.subdomain.conf turnserver.conf

14 hours ago, N¿¿B said:

@yinzer Hi! I was wondering you could help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm just about to give up. I've gotten everything up and running except for this matrix server and I've been working on it for the better part or two days now 🙁. I'd love for it to be something really silly because I followed the directions and uninstalled and reinstalled the set up multiple times now, but I'm not sure anymore. Everything else works. I've attached the logs and config files. I've changed the domain to "domain.net" for security.

My main issues off the bat is the following:

Doesn't Register As An Error or Warning But Thought It Was Concerning

Cannot create pid file: /var/run/turnserver.pid: Permission denied

Warnings

[WARNING] cannot find certificate file: /data/bridge.domain.net.tls.crt (1)

[WARNING] cannot start TLS and DTLS listeners because certificate file is not set properly

[WARNING] cannot find private key file: /data/bridge.xb34st.com.tls.key (1)

[WARNING] cannot start TLS and DTLS listeners because private key file is not set properly

[WARNING] cannot find DH key file: /data/bridge.xb34st.com.tls.dh (1)

[WARNING] - None - Server /usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/app/homeserver.py version 1.14.0

Errors

[ERROR] CONFIG ERROR: Empty cli-password, and so telnet cli interface is disabled! Please set a non empty cli-password!

[ERROR] - - Traceback (most recent call last):

[ERROR] - - File "/usr/lib/python3.7/runpy.py", line 193, in _run_module_as_main

[ERROR] - - "__main__", mod_spec)

[ERROR] - - File "/usr/lib/python3.7/runpy.py", line 85, in _run_code

[ERROR] - - exec(code, run_globals)

[ERROR] - - File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/app/homeserver.py", line 682, in <module>

[ERROR] - - main()

[ERROR] - - File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/app/homeserver.py", line 677, in main

[ERROR] - - hs = setup(sys.argv[1:])

[ERROR] - - File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/app/homeserver.py", line 372, in setup

[ERROR] - - hs.setup()

[ERROR] - - File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/server.py", line 274, in setup

[ERROR] - - self.datastores = DataStores(self.DATASTORE_CLASS, self)

[ERROR] - - File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/storage/data_stores/__init__.py", line 49, in __init__

[ERROR] - - with make_conn(database_config, engine) as db_conn:

[ERROR] - - File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/storage/database.py", line 112, in make_conn

[ERROR] - - db_conn = engine.module.connect(**db_params)

[ERROR] - - sqlite3.OperationalError: unable to open database file

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

homeserver.log 14.07 kB · 1 download matrix.subdomain.conf 418 B · 1 download turnserver.conf 232 B · 3 downloads

in regards to the pid file

edit /data/turnserver.conf, add the following and restart

pidfile=/data/turnserver.pid
userdb=/data/turnserver.db

perhaps, @yinzer should add this to the original post.

I believe you can set "no-cli" in turnserver.conf as well to remove the other message.

reference: https://github.com/instrumentisto/coturn-docker-image/issues/13

Edited by spyd4r
  • Thanks 1

thanks @spyd4r I'll add that above. I didnt have to make that change and it 'just works' but I'll at least note it unless othesr are having the same issue. The joys of living, actively-developed codebases :)

The other error sounds like an SSL problem. If you don't actually own the domain, you can't use LetsEncrypt to provision your certificates (since it verifies ownership). You should be able to get a full-HTTP setup -- edit all your configs and replace http with https for internal services, and adjust ports accordingly (443 to 80 or whatever you are using).  If you run HTTPSEverywhere in your browser, expect problems!

Edited by yinzer
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, yinzer said:

thanks @spyd4r I'll add that above. I didnt have to make that change and it 'just works' but I'll at least note it unless othesr are having the same issue. The joys of living, actively-developed codebases :)

The other error sounds like an SSL problem. If you don't actually own the domain, you can't use LetsEncrypt to provision your certificates (since it verifies ownership). You should be able to get a full-HTTP setup -- edit all your configs and replace http with https for internal services, and adjust ports accordingly (443 to 80 or whatever you are using).  If you run HTTPSEverywhere in your browser, expect problems!

I got a locally run dimension server up and running, noticed that was still in your todo. Let me know if you need assitance putting that together.

1 hour ago, yinzer said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I bought the domain and by following your instructions I have both Riot and Jitsi set up and working. If I didn't own the domain or have incorrect port forwarding, would I not be experiencing the same issues with those two programs too? Or is there something else I need to with my domain provider? I'm not running HTTPSEverywhere either.

3 hours ago, spyd4r said:

in regards to the pid file

edit /data/turnserver.conf, add the following and restart

perhaps, @yinzer should add this to the original post.

I believe you can set "no-cli" in turnserver.conf as well to remove the other message.

reference: https://github.com/instrumentisto/coturn-docker-image/issues/13

Thank you so much! It appears that took care of the PID issue. ☺️

woops, i misread your description and though you were using domain.net because you didn't have a real domain. Both errors appear to be related to files in /data, which should map to your appdata folder. Do you have any strange permission issues with appdata? All these changes should not be necessary in a default setting, and should be generated automatically. It seems like something in the setup is failing to allow the files to be written to appdata correctly.

4 hours ago, yinzer said:

woops, i misread your description and though you were using domain.net because you didn't have a real domain. Both errors appear to be related to files in /data, which should map to your appdata folder. Do you have any strange permission issues with appdata? All these changes should not be necessary in a default setting, and should be generated automatically. It seems like something in the setup is failing to allow the files to be written to appdata correctly.

No, nothing that I can think of. This is literally the only docker I can't get up and running. I haven't had any issues with dockers connecting to my appdata folder through /mnt/cache/appdata or /mnt/user/appdata. I have Jitsi and Riot working from your guide as well as a few other containers. Some are set behind are reverse proxy too. Everything works fine, except Matrix. I'm confused. 😕 I usually never post anything on forums, but I created an account specifically for this because it was bugging me so much, haha. I just can't figure it out. 🤷🏽‍♀️

4 hours ago, N¿¿B said:

No, nothing that I can think of. This is literally the only docker I can't get up and running. I haven't had any issues with dockers connecting to my appdata folder through /mnt/cache/appdata or /mnt/user/appdata. I have Jitsi and Riot working from your guide as well as a few other containers. Some are set behind are reverse proxy too. Everything works fine, except Matrix. I'm confused. 😕 I usually never post anything on forums, but I created an account specifically for this because it was bugging me so much, haha. I just can't figure it out. 🤷🏽‍♀️

if you want to send your conf file for matrix privately to me or paste here and make sure you remove anything sensitive. perhaps we can give you a hand.

2 hours ago, spyd4r said:

if you want to send your conf file for matrix privately to me or paste here and make sure you remove anything sensitive. perhaps we can give you a hand.

That's the homeserver.yaml file, right? I'll just post it here in the thread. Maybe it might help someone later who's having the same issue. I've went ahead and changed the secret and shared keys and switched domain to "domain.net" instead of my actual one. Thank you so much for taking your time to help me.  I really appreciate it. 🙂

homeserver.yaml

7 hours ago, N¿¿B said:

That's the homeserver.yaml file, right? I'll just post it here in the thread. Maybe it might help someone later who's having the same issue. I've went ahead and changed the secret and shared keys and switched domain to "domain.net" instead of my actual one. Thank you so much for taking your time to help me.  I really appreciate it. 🙂

homeserver.yaml 74.14 kB · 0 downloads

1 thing i see right off the bat..

database:
  name: sqlite3
  args:
    database: /homeserver.db

should be 

database:
  args:
    database: /data/homeserver.db

other then that the only differences between yours and mine is the listeners, I have mine setup a bit diferently.

listeners:
  # TLS-enabled listener: for when matrix traffic is sent directly to synapse.
  #
  # Disabled by default. To enable it, uncomment the following. (Note that you
  # will also need to give Synapse a TLS key and certificate: see the TLS section
  # below.)
  #
  - port: 8448
    tls: false
    type: http
    x_forwarded: false

resources:
      - names: [federation]
        compress: false

# Unsecure HTTP listener: for when matrix traffic passes through a reverse proxy
  # that unwraps TLS.
  #
  # If you plan to use a reverse proxy, please see
  # https://github.com/matrix-org/synapse/blob/master/docs/reverse_proxy.md.
  #
  - port: 8008
    x_forwarded: true

resources:
      - names: [client]
        compress: true

Can you paste your turnserver.conf? (remove the secret)

• Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, spyd4r said:

database:
  args:

should be 

database:
  args:

other then that the only differences between yours and mine is the listeners, I have mine setup a bit diferently.

listeners:
  #
  # below.)
  #

resources:

# Unsecure HTTP listener: for when matrix traffic passes through a reverse proxy
  # that unwraps TLS.
  #
  #

resources:

Thanks! I’m not near my sever right now but when I get back, I’ll definitely make those changes and report back. As for the turnsever.conf, it’s attached to the first post I made with my matrix.subdomain.conf and my log file. Sorry, if I was near my computer I would have just attached it to this post. 

9 minutes ago, N¿¿B said:

Thanks! I’m not near my sever right now but when I get back, I’ll definitely make those changes and report back. As for the turnsever.conf, it’s attached to the first post I made with my matrix.subdomain.conf and my log file. Sorry, if I was near my computer I would have just attached it to this post. 

I'll show you my matrix.subdomain.conf file

server {
	listen 443 ssl;
	listen 8448 ssl;

server_name bridge.*;

include /config/nginx/ssl.conf;

client_max_body_size 0;

location / {
		include /config/nginx/proxy.conf;
		resolver 127.0.0.11 valid=30s;
		set $upstream_app 10.10.4.234;
		set $upstream_port 8008;
		set $upstream_proto http;
		proxy_pass $upstream_proto://$upstream_app:$upstream_port;
		proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $remote_addr;
	}

location ^~ /_matrix {
		proxy_pass http://10.10.4.234:8008/_matrix;
	}

location ^~ /_matrix/identity {
		proxy_pass http://10.10.4.234:8008/_matrix/identity;
		proxy_set_header Host $host;
	}
}

While we're at it, in regards to your port forwards on your router, how do you have it configured? Are you using cloudflare also? I noticed a few things needed in regards to configuring DNS at cloudflare for federation to work properly.

also, in regards to turnserver.conf. I think you added

did you also add the no-cli?

Edited by spyd4r

I am trying to follow this guide and have run into an issue with the matrix setup.

I have read through and followed the instructions to add:

But I am still getting these errors when I start back up the Matrix docker

2020-06-05 16:05:08,756 - synapse.app.homeserver - 369 - INFO - None - Setting up server
2020-06-05 16:05:08,756 - synapse.server - 272 - INFO - None - Setting up.
2020-06-05 16:05:08,757 - twisted - 192 - ERROR -  - Traceback (most recent call last):
2020-06-05 16:05:08,757 - twisted - 192 - ERROR -  -   File "/usr/lib/python3.7/runpy.py", line 193, in _run_module_as_main
2020-06-05 16:05:08,757 - twisted - 192 - ERROR -  -     "__main__", mod_spec)
2020-06-05 16:05:08,757 - twisted - 192 - ERROR -  -   File "/usr/lib/python3.7/runpy.py", line 85, in _run_code
2020-06-05 16:05:08,757 - twisted - 192 - ERROR -  -     exec(code, run_globals)
2020-06-05 16:05:08,758 - twisted - 192 - ERROR -  -   File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/app/homeserver.py", line 682, in <module>
2020-06-05 16:05:08,758 - twisted - 192 - ERROR -  -     main()
2020-06-05 16:05:08,758 - twisted - 192 - ERROR -  -   File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/app/homeserver.py", line 677, in main
2020-06-05 16:05:08,758 - twisted - 192 - ERROR -  -     hs = setup(sys.argv[1:])
2020-06-05 16:05:08,758 - twisted - 192 - ERROR -  -   File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/app/homeserver.py", line 372, in setup
2020-06-05 16:05:08,759 - twisted - 192 - ERROR -  -     hs.setup()
2020-06-05 16:05:08,759 - twisted - 192 - ERROR -  -   File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/server.py", line 274, in setup
2020-06-05 16:05:08,759 - twisted - 192 - ERROR -  -     self.datastores = DataStores(self.DATASTORE_CLASS, self)
2020-06-05 16:05:08,759 - twisted - 192 - ERROR -  -   File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/storage/data_stores/__init__.py", line 49, in __init__
2020-06-05 16:05:08,759 - twisted - 192 - ERROR -  -     with make_conn(database_config, engine) as db_conn:
2020-06-05 16:05:08,759 - twisted - 192 - ERROR -  -   File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/storage/database.py", line 112, in make_conn
2020-06-05 16:05:08,760 - twisted - 192 - ERROR -  -     db_conn = engine.module.connect(**db_params)
2020-06-05 16:05:08,760 - twisted - 192 - ERROR -  - sqlite3.OperationalError: unable to open database file

Any other suggestions as to what I am missing?

Alright guys, sorry for the late reply back to this thread. Thanks to the help of @spyd4r I was able to fix my issue. Thanks stranger! @itsmepetey I believe you have the same issue as me so the following post will hopefully benefit you too. The error seems to come from the database not being found. In your homeserver.yaml file in /mnt/user/appdata/matrix there is a line of code that looks like this:

database:
  args:

That should be changed to:

database:
  args:

That should get your system up and running.

Confirm if this is the case with you, because if it is, it looks like the new versions of avhost's matrix docker is being shipped with the code looking like that and maybe @yinzer could add that to his original post in case other's are experiencing the same issue.

Note: I have since upgraded my database to a Postgres DB for better performance. That requires a little bit more work and you'd need to be comfortable with the command line, but I'd be happy to post a how-to if there's interest.

Edited by N¿¿B
On 6/2/2020 at 9:07 AM, spyd4r said:

database:
  args:

should be 

database:
  args:

listeners:
  #
  # below.)
  #

resources:

# that unwraps TLS.
  #
  #

resources:

Just wondering, why did you enable port 8848? I know it's for when traffic is sent directly to synapse, but I can't think of a scenario where that's happening.

On 6/2/2020 at 10:04 AM, spyd4r said:

I'll show you my matrix.subdomain.conf file

server {
	listen 443 ssl;
	listen 8448 ssl;

server_name bridge.*;

include /config/nginx/ssl.conf;

client_max_body_size 0;

location / {
		include /config/nginx/proxy.conf;
		resolver 127.0.0.11 valid=30s;
		set $upstream_app 10.10.4.234;
		set $upstream_port 8008;
		set $upstream_proto http;
		proxy_pass $upstream_proto://$upstream_app:$upstream_port;
	}

location ^~ /_matrix {
	}

}
}

While we're at it, in regards to your port forwards on your router, how do you have it configured? Are you using cloudflare also? I noticed a few things needed in regards to configuring DNS at cloudflare for federation to work properly.

also, in regards to turnserver.conf. I think you added

did you also add the no-cli?

I've posted my turnserver.conf to this reply. I've added everything you said, but I'm still experiencing a NO-CLI error. Let me know what I'm doing wrong. It's as simple as just writing no-cli in a new line, right?

I'm do have things running through Cloudflare. I followed Spaceinvader's guide here to set it up. You said you had issues running things through Cloudflare. What kinds of issues have your run into? I haven't noticed anything yet, but I haven't tried connecting to anything outside of my own instance. Since I'm running things through Cloudflare I've closed up port 80 on my router, but everything else is set up per Spaceinvader and Yizner's post.

Also, what's this bit of extra code here in your matrix.subdomain.conf file for? Is this the code to help identify you and federate your instance you were talking about? How does it do that? I don't quite understand what the code is doing.

location ^~ /_matrix {

turnserver.conf

Edited by N¿¿B
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 7:06 PM, yinzer said:

1. Open a console/SSH to your server
2. Install docker-compose by executing `curl -L "https://github.com/docker/compose/releases/download/1.25.5/docker-compose-$(uname -s)-$(uname -m)" -o /usr/local/bin/docker-compose`
3. Make it executable: `chmod u+x /usr/local/bin/docker-compose`
4. Move to your appdata folder : `cd /mnt/user/appdata`

5. Make and enter a folder for you docker-compose projctes: `mkdir docker-compose; cd docker-compose`
6. Clone and enter the `docker-jitsi-meet` repo: `git clone https://github.com/jitsi/docker-jitsi-meet ; cd docker-jitsi-meet`
7. Create an install environment: `cp env.example .env`
8. Populate some random secrets in your environment: `./gen-passwords.sh`
9. Edit the install environment (I'm using nano, but edit however you want): nano .env
10. Change `CONFIG=/mnt//mnt/user/appdata/jitsi-meet/`
11. Set TZ to your timezome, ie `TZ=America/Denver`
12. Change `PUBLIC_URL=https://meet.somedomain.gg`
13. Change `DOCKER_HOST_ADDRESS=192.168.0.1` or whatever the LAN address of your Unraid server is

14. Create the CONFIG path that you defined in step 10: `mkdir /mnt//mnt/user/appdata/jitsi-meet/`
15. Create and start the containers: `docker-compose -p jitsi-meet -f docker-compose.yml -f etherpad.yml up -d`
16. This will create 4 Jitsi containers are part of a Docker Stack -- see your list of dockers. You can't edit them, but take note of the `jitsi-meet_web_1` ports, which should be `8000` and `8443`. If you got any errors, it's likely a port conflict somewhere, so find the corresponding setting in your `.env` file and adjust as needed, reflecting any relevant changes in the next step.

Great guide, I just happened to be looking for something better then Nextcloud Talk.

I did notice two typo's that made me think twice :)

Also, I'm having trouble with voice chat on Riot.

Jitsi works fine on it's own, but calling through Riot doesn't work, and I get this...

badco placed a voice call.

institute answered the call.

badco ended the call. (could not connect media)

EDIT: A bit more information:

This happens with an external client (institute) with a LAN client (badco) and also with two external clients. I have been through this guide and Spaceinvader One's video guide.

EDIT2: I created another account and calls work over LAN between two users, but not with one user not on the LAN. I thought if it was peer to peer the STUN server wasn't used, until a third person joined?

Edited by BadCo.