Zoom Sucks: Riot Chat + Jitsi Video Conference Setup

81 posts in this topic Last Reply

On 1/10/2021 at 5:16 AM, Sharpie said:

@HojojojoWololo Thanks again for updating this guide.

I am still getting the "Bad Gateway" issue I have made every change you have listed and to no avail. I even added the inverted commas.

I was able to get my Element-web container online but not matrix keep getting this

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3.7/runpy.py", line 193, in _run_module_as_main
"__main__", mod_spec)
File "/usr/lib/python3.7/runpy.py", line 85, in _run_code
exec(code, run_globals)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/app/homeserver.py", line 512, in <module>
main()
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/app/homeserver.py", line 507, in main
hs = setup(sys.argv[1:])
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/app/homeserver.py", line 342, in setup
"Synapse Homeserver", config_options
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/config/_base.py", line 722, in load_or_generate_config
config_dict, config_dir_path=config_dir_path, data_dir_path=data_dir_path
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/config/_base.py", line 744, in parse_config_dict
data_dir_path=data_dir_path,
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/config/_base.py", line 369, in invoke_all
res[name] = getattr(config, func_name)(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/dist-packages/synapse/config/registration.py", line 90, in read_config
strtobool(str(config.get("enable_registration", False)))
File "/usr/lib/python3.7/distutils/util.py", line 307, in strtobool
raise ValueError("invalid truth value %r" % (val,))
ValueError: invalid truth value 'ture'

At the end of my logs, I cant even seem to find those files nor are they mentioned in any of the guides.

Got any more tips on how I can correct this? or get past the Bad gateway issue?

Thanks Again 😃

Somewhere in a configuration file you have "true" misspelled. Notice the line that says "invalid truth value 'ture'".

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I posted this on the serverbuilds.net forums, and noticed that several users here were interested, so cross-posting!   This a somewhat complex yet in-demand installation, so I figured I'd sh

Nice catch! I'm a Unifi users as well, but my controller runs on the USG. The Matrix container config does give you the option to reassign the STUN ports, so you can give that a shot and reflect the s

in regards to the pid file   edit /data/turnserver.conf, add the following and restart pidfile=/data/turnserver.pid userdb=/data/turnserver.db   perhaps, @yinzer should add this

Posted Images

Did anything change with Element ? Somehow my server has completely halted on sending messages. The server shows up like everything is fine and connected just can't send any messages. 

Matrix server seems ok, however I am getting a weird error with Element:

2021/02/17 15:00:32 [error] 21#21: *48 open() "/usr/share/nginx/html/config.chat.mydomain.net.json" failed (2: No such file or directory), client: 172.18.0.2, server: localhost, request: "GET /config.chat.mydomain.net.json?cachebuster=1613592032263 HTTP/1.1", host: "chat.mydomain.net"

I have not done any changes and this happened right after an update so I believe something has been broken by either the matrix update or element update recently. Before I go breaking things thought I would check for any tips or suggestions on recent changes maybe I missed. 

• 1 month later...

Many thanks to everyone involved here. Especially to @yinzerwho created this forum post and to  @HojojojoWololo who summarized the changes. 

I found a small bug in the swag config, which made it difficult to communicate with the integration server.

Original: 

location /.well-known/matrix/server {
        default_type application/json;
               return 200 '{"m.server": "yourdomain.com:443"}';
             add_header Access-Control-Allow-Origin *;
	}

New: 

return 200 '{"m.server": "bridge.yourdomain.com:443"}';
	}

the complete config would then be

matrix.subdomain.conf:

server {
	listen 443 ssl;
	listen 8448 ssl;

server_name bridge.*;

include /config/nginx/ssl.conf;

client_max_body_size 0;

location / {
		include /config/nginx/proxy.conf;
		resolver 127.0.0.11 valid=30s;
		set $upstream_app your.unraid.server.ip;
		set $upstream_port 8008;
		set $upstream_proto http;
		proxy_pass $upstream_proto://$upstream_app:$upstream_port;
		proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $remote_addr;
	}

return 200 '{"m.server": "bridge.yourdomain.com:443"}';
	}
}

Edited by swiss01

So I still have a problem :(

When I want to call someone it only works if they are both on the same LAN as the server. If not, it rings, but then it gets stuck on "Call connection ...".

Unfortunately, I haven't found much about it on the internet.

Do any of you know the problem?

Edit: 

oh and what also doesn't work is that the correct matrix server address is stored on my element web.

the server also always reports this warning. can that have a connection?

2021/04/08 10:42:36 [error] 31#31: *600 open() "/usr/share/nginx/html/config.chat.medomain.com.json" failed (2: No such file or directory), client: 172.18.0.3, server: localhost, request: "GET /config.chat.medomain.com.json?cachebuster=1617871354966 HTTP/1.1", host: "chat.medomain.com"

Edited by swiss01

Many thanks to @yinzer for making an initial guide and @HojojojoWololo for the update.

I have successfuly created a working Matrix and Element-web docker with Nginx Proxy Manager.

I have a few questions but first let me introduce this guide how to become an administrator of your own server. This gide is provided by BRIAN MCGONAGILL and you can find the whole article on his webpage:

• Open terminal and go to your appdata matrix folder (mine is in /mnt/user/appdata/matrix
  • Now we need to get into the sqlite shell for the file homeserver.db.  So we use the command
sqlite3 homeserver.db
  • Now we'll search for our user in the database with the command
SELECT * FROM users;
  • It should look something like this
@your-user:your-server-url|sNyRQNH/aCDj7XSeRqreHtGuVe9ZoxGEUyyT5UF78QWw3S|76098|0||0|||||0|0
  • And make note of your username.  It looks like this
@youruser:your-server-url
  • Copy your username and paste it in the next command to look like this
UPDATE users SET admin=1 WHERE name='@your-user:your-server-url';
  • Now re-run the command to search you should see that a 0 (zero) is now a 1 (one) out to the right
SELECT * FROM users;
  • You should see that a 0 (zero) is now a 1 (one) out to the right and should look like this
@your-user:your-server-url|sNyRQNH/aCDj7XSeRqreHtGuVe9ZoxGEUyyT5UF78QWw3S|76098|1||0|||||0|0
  • Finally type 
    .quit
     and press Enter to exit the SQLite shell

All thanks go to BRIAN MCGONAGILL for providing this guide, I just modified it (just a little bit).

Now to my question.

I would like to see who registered in my self hosted server (registration is enabled). It's obvious I can't see this now. Is it possible to approve users registration before they log in. I have setup SMTP and it's working in homeserver.yaml

16 hours ago, yogy said:

Now to my question.

I would like to see who registered in my self hosted server (registration is enabled). It's obvious I can't see this now. Is it possible to approve users registration before they log in. I have setup SMTP and it's working in homeserver.yaml

I don't know if they can accept a registration.
But with "synapse admin" you can easily see who has registered and assign roles or create users yourself.

just download it from the app store and test it ;)