Dual SSD + Whats better?

Sure. Running two M.2 Samsung 970 EVO building a BTRFS Cache Pool. All Dockers and VMs are running on this pool since over a year or so.

***Edit*** I'm using two Lycom DT-120 PCIe x4 M.2 Adapter to connect these two M.2 drives to the Motherboard.

Edited by hawihoney

Don't bother with SATA M.2. It's just a waste of SATA port with M.2 form factor heat issue.

You are asking short generic question without specific details which I suspect won't yield any useful answer for you.

Also "measurable" is entirely different from "perceivable" and "applicable".

It can be measurably faster but not perceivable in your case because your use cases are not applicable.

1 hour ago, Andrew Clarke said:

Would I see any measurable peformance increase over using NVMe M.2 drives in comparison to running say SATA M.2 drives guys?

I did start with two SATA SSDs building the cache pool. Changing the cache pool to two M.2 NVMe drives connected to PCIe x4 was a HUGE difference. I'm no hardware guy but if I remember correctly the difference e.g. in read performance was something around 550 MB/s vs. 2700 MB/s. 

Thats what I thought hawihoney thankyou. 

Appreciate that the throughput is a questionable factor but thats basically the information I was after. 

Yea its a bit of a no brainer when you think about it. I meam 500MBps vs 3GBps is a substantial increase in performance. Now I know what Im looking for NVMe drive wise, I shall be looking to buy a minature 10gigabit switch and two 512gb NVMe drives and then look to rearrange my whole setup so its a bit cleaner and tidyer. 

I imagine that I would want to run the NVMe drives in the cache pool and use SSDs for storage?

Thanks for your help guys

A welcome $0.02 thank you HawiHoney :)

I shall endevour to do this when I get some time free.

I've just bought a spare z270m motherboard and plugged a spare i3-6100 sat round doing nothing in to it for better IOPS (was running i7-3770k), but that was on a DDR3 Z75 Pro3 motherboard.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be pinning this discussion and using it when I purchase the 10gig switch and dual NVMe drives.

Thanks