ASUS Aura SDK as Unraid Plugin

I know I'm not the only ASUS motherboard having Unraid user, so I wanted to officially request for someone to please try and build a plugin to control the Aura lighting.  Even if its something as simple as just the 3 RGB sliders for everything on Aura Sync, it would be better than nothing.  As it stands now, I can purchase an iCue controller for my monoblock and gpu block lighting, but the RAM and mobo get two options, OFF or whatever bios last detected (in my case, pulsing red from my old windows drive).

I'm going to spend this weekend researching whatever i can find, maybe if its easy enough (limited to C, C++, python), i could try to build the plugin myself

• Like 1
On 4/23/2020 at 12:39 PM, capt.asic said:

Found a working linux app, open source, making slow progress, but still progress.

if someone can help me get started with making plugins for Unraid, I would love to build it for the community

if you still need help getting started i would be happy to show how i got started ^_^

On 4/25/2020 at 9:00 PM, capt.asic said:

Always! i'm on discord too.  FTR, I have already contacted the devs at OpenRGB and they are willing to assist too.

I have been playing around with OpenRGB as well. I was going the docker route though. Having issues compiling at the moment. Also my target is a Gigabyte board, not that it matters thought.

Edited by primeval_god
12 hours ago, capt.asic said:

i've compiled already, just doing some tuning to make it stable.  I'll announce here as soon as I verify it works. (with all the disclaimers OpenRGB has)

As of last night i also got compilation working. It doesnt like being compiled under debian8. Changed the container to a debian 9 base and everything went smoothly. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/29/2020 at 12:17 AM, capt.asic said:

https://hub.docker.com/repository/docker/captasic/openrgb

Run only requires passing port 5800 and optionally 5900.  Access via web browser to port 5800.

I'll make a CA for it once i iron out a few more issues

I'm currently building a media server with my son and we have Asus Arus rgb lighting and I was wondering if it was going to work in Unraid.  I've not finished the build yet but does your plugin seem to be working good?

Alternatively would it be possible to setup a windows vm that runs all the time and control the lights from there? Would that just be too big of a resource hog?

If you look on Community Apps, the P3R OpenRGB container is there, so you dont need to run from dockerhub and figure it out.  Running windows wont work since you need to have hardware passing through and VM's cant access host mainboards.  Its docker or on unraid directly, which was undesired.  There is a discord server on teh support link for the application as well.

Oh wow, this is really cool!!! I've been looking for this a few months ago and didn't know it was under development and even released by now!

I tried to install it, but it gives me an error. Cannot start up the docker. Will share the log later. It seems related to "binding" devices (e.g., passthrough of GPU to VM). Does this prevent the docker to run?

On 6/30/2020 at 9:37 PM, capt.asic said:

If you look on Community Apps, the P3R OpenRGB container is there, so you dont need to run from dockerhub and figure it out.  Running windows wont work since you need to have hardware passing through and VM's cant access host mainboards.  Its docker or on unraid directly, which was undesired.  There is a discord server on teh support link for the application as well.

I'm only in the phase of building all the hardware so cant dig through all the software yet, but trying to prepare. Anyway....my question.....I thought the rgb control was part of the bios. When I look through the Asus x99 Deluxe ii manual in the bios section, it shows settings for the Aura control.

Am I confused about that? Once I saw that in the manual appearing to be part of the bios, I thought I was going to be good with running the lights in Unraid. All of the bios settings will work correctly wont they?

Thank You for any info you have!

Edited by SPOautos

And here we go with the error message I am receiving. I had stopped the VM, so don't think this comes from this?

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='P3R-OpenRGB' --net='bridge' --privileged=true -e TZ="Asia/Shanghai" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VNC_PASSWORD'='' -p '5800:5800/tcp' -p '5900:5900/tcp' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/P3R-OpenRGB/':'/config/':'rw' -v '/sys/bus/i2c/devices/':'/sys/bus/i2c/devices/':'ro' -v '/dev/i2c-0':'/dev/i2c-0':'ro' -e 'USER_ID'='0' -e 'GROUP_ID'='0' 'p3rco/openrgb:latest' 

[removed]
/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint P3R-OpenRGB ([removed]😞 Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp 0.0.0.0:5900: bind: address already in use.

The command failed.

@SPOautos

Bios can do some basic controls, but if you want to change lighting while the system is running, you cant.  Most vendors use their own software to control RGB, and sadly, most of those apps are windows only.  Hence, OpenRGB made a presence.

@steve1977

you have two containers using the same IP:Port, just change one of them to a different IP or change the port.

On 7/7/2020 at 9:34 AM, capt.asic said:

@steve1977

you have two containers using the same IP:Port, just change one of them to a different IP or change the port.

It wasn't a docker container, but my VM was using the 5900 port. I closed the VM and tried to install.Getting a new error message now:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='P3R-OpenRGB' --net='bridge' --privileged=true -e TZ="Asia/Shanghai" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'VNC_PASSWORD'='' -p '5800:5800/tcp' -p '5900:5900/tcp' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/P3R-OpenRGB/':'/config/':'rw' -v '/sys/bus/i2c/devices/':'/sys/bus/i2c/devices/':'ro' -v '/dev/i2c-0':'/dev/i2c-0':'ro' -e 'USER_ID'='0' -e 'GROUP_ID'='0' 'p3rco/openrgb:latest' 

[removed]
/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: error while creating mount source path '/sys/bus/i2c/devices': mkdir /sys/bus/i2c: operation not permitted.

The command failed.

• 1 year later...

Have been trying this again after a while. Still no luck. Error log below. Any thoughts appreciated!

ttempting to connect to local OpenRGB server.
Connection attempt failed
Local OpenRGB server unavailable.
Running standalone.
Network connection thread started on port 6742
<h2>WARNING:</h2><p>One or more I2C/SMBus interfaces failed to initialize.</p><p>RGB DRAM modules and some motherboards' onboard RGB lighting will not be available without I2C/SMBus.</p><p>On Linux, this is usually because the i2c-dev module is not loaded.  You must load the i2c-dev module along with the correct i2c driver for your motherboard.  This is usually i2c-piix4 for AMD systems and i2c-i801 for Intel systems.</p><p>See <a href='https://help.openrgb.org/'>help.openrgb.org</a> for additional troubleshooting steps if you keep seeing this message.<br></p>
Profile failed to load

+1 for this.

Trying to get OpenRGB to work on an ASUS - ROG Gaming Desktop / G15CE-B9

Motherboard reports itself as:  ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G15CE , Version 1.0
American Megatrends Inc., Version G15CE.215

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-gaming-desktop-intel-core-i7-11700f-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3070-1tb-hdd-512gb-ssd/6455823.p?skuId=6455823

Started with the OpenRGB patch and docker container from the app store.

Had to change port 5900 to 5901 to make the container start.

Nothing detected.

Little digging... ok... lets start over...

Loaded the openRGB patch, which enabled /dev/i2c-0 and /dev/i2c-1 (I can ls for them now)

ran sensors-detect from the cli.  yes to everything.

>sensors-detect

Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
Just press ENTER to continue: 

Driver `coretemp':
  * Chip `Intel digital thermal sensor' (confidence: 9)

Driver `nct6775':
  * ISA bus, address 0x290
    Chip `Nuvoton NCT6798D Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)

Found the nct6775 driver in the app store and loaded it too.

Run the container... nothing found.

Lets try passing some more stuff through...

/sys/bus/i2c/devices

/dev/i2c-0

/dev/i2c-1   <- added from the default

/dev/bus/usb/001/002   <- added from the default based on the usb device of the aura led controller.  IDK... maybe?

Docker page said it should just see the USB ports... but maybe the 'USB Manager' plugin I have is conflicting somehow?

Tried passing through the USB device, but that didn't seem to work either.

Found another page that mentioned a kernel parameter for laxacpidevices or something, tried that... still no go. 

OpenRGB container starts up, but shows an empty page, nothing detected.  Not getting anywhere.  Let us know if you have more luck!

Edited by DaCeige